Livewell/Fish Storage

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by tntitans21399, Nov 26, 2007.

1. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am getting into Catfishing, and my boat doesn't have a livewell or any type of fish storage area in it. I like the roominess, helps when I go out camping on a island, but I have been Bass fishing and just catch and release. Now that I am getting into Catfishing and I will soon be bringing fish home to eat. Since I don't have a livewell or fish storage then I was thinking about either making a livewell type area behind my back seats (I'll add pics so you know my type of layout). Or is it better to just use a cooler and add a 12V plug in aerator (Bass Pro's Fish Saver Portable Aerator $24) or something like that? I know seeing some of the guys that go noodling they just throw their cats in the boat, but they are mosters. What does everyone do with their Cats that they are going to keep? What do you guys with a boat that didn't come with a livewell do? Any ideas would be great. What size should it be about (length/width/height)?

I've added pics of the boat of the layout for anyone that has any ideas. The pics don't show the two back fishing seats, but I have two that go in the back spots.

Attached Files:

2. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    chris just get a small ice chest and ice down the ones u are going to eat.by getting a small ice chest you will do the manly thing and let the big one go.j/k i hace a 74 quart ice chest with 2 of the mr.bubbles aireators that wall mart sells .works for me.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I agree with Johnnie...gut 'em and pack them in crushed/chipped ice. Get them as cold as possible, as quickly as possible.

I don't know that the stress of several hours in a livewell degrades the quality of the meat, but it sure as heck won't help, either.

4. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Do you go ahead and gut them out on the water? I figured you would wait until you got back home or so before doing that?

A cooler is easier and I have a couple that I don't use, now I can use them. And their is a 24/7 ice machine right down the road from the boat ramp. $1.50 for 20lbs of ice.

5. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    the cooler is what we use, especially in the summer. we caught some nice sized eaters this summer and kept them in the livewell all day. They were alive when we got to shore but their meat tasted terrible. That was the only time i had that issue and now it is resolved. Just drop the fish on ice and clean when you get done fishing.

6. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    also, if you fish tournaments, i would consider putting a removeable LW in. there are tips for this in the BOC library to put u on the right track.

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I gut them immediately. The object is to retard the growth of bacteria as much as possible.

I may be a tad obsessive, but I try to do everything possible to insure a top quality product on the table.

For what it's worth, this is exactly what the offshore commercial fishermen do to preserve the quality of their catch.

8. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i bought a big plastic tool box from walmart. 45 bucks has a hinged lid. its about 4feet by 2 feet by2 feet and use a ariator hooked to my battery. must if your ever gonna fish a tourny. and makes good storage if your not using it and easy to get in and out the boat

9. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    most livewells have positive flow water form the lake, I have a livewell in my boat and it pumps water into the live well and flowes out a overflow back into the lake, I just put in a second livewell pump for my new bait tank it was easy. check out wallmart for a livewell pump it takes a 1" hole for the intake and use silcone to seal run a line to the livewell and a over flow back out the back. Check out http://www.livebaitlarry.com for parts. it took me no time to install

10. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I would probably just use the ice chest for keeping the small eater cats but would look into puting in a small baitwell for keeping bait fresh.