livewell drain

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by dusty1529, Feb 20, 2009.

1. dusty1529

dusty1529 New Member

State:
    Winamac, IN.
    I have a premade plastic livewell and was just wanting a few ideas on what kind of drain to put in it. I have a bilge to pump water in and an overflow drain but no drain in the bottom.

2. viperdragon6662003

viperdragon6662003 New Member

State:
    IL
    The ones in my boat that are build in have one that is about 3/4 inch and runs down to the back of the boat below the waterline next to the drain plug. it uses a rubber stopper to plus the hole.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    My overflow is a standpipe that inserts into the bottom drain into a rubber grommet. When installed it fills up, when removed it drains. It is just a pvc pipe.

Just use a regular plug if your overflow pipe is not vertical or removable.

4. dusty1529

dusty1529 New Member

State:
    Winamac, IN.
    Do you ever have a problem with the standpipe geting knocked out by fish?

5. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    drill a 13/16" hole and use a boat drain plug found at ANY boating store or walmart=$2.49

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

NEVER! And I have had it loaded with big cats before. Not sure what kind of fitting they used at the factory but the pipe seats pretty secure.

If I could think of the well-known site that sells fittings and pumps etc you'd find what you need. Someone will come up with it.

7. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a livewell with a standpipe overflow like Skipeye but mine screws in so I don't have any trouble with fish knocking it over. Like Skipeye said I've had a lot of fish in my livewell and have never had a problem with standpipe.

8. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
  9. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
  10. dusty1529

dusty1529 New Member

State:
    Winamac, IN.
    I havent put my overflow in yet so I think I will go with the stand pipe. Thank you everyone for the help and that web site helped a lot. Now I just hope i can fill my new livewell with cats here soon!!!!

11. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i've never had a fish knock it out, but i did have some shad in it one day and it started to overflow because a dead shad got caught it the top.
    chip