LiveWell - Catfish Size?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by SmokinBarrel, May 27, 2009.

1. SmokinBarrel

SmokinBarrel New Member

State:
    St. Louis, MO
    As I am about to order my boat, I wanted to get an idea of the size of tank I will need in the transom. The largest cat I've caught was 38 lbs, and I figured its head to be about 7 - 9" wide, and about 26 - 31" long, correct? The livewell that comes with the boat is 12" wide and 49 1/2" long.

In order to plan ahead for the world record catfish I'll catch :wink: I wanted to get an idea of what a record catfish would measure - roughly? That way, I maybe able get the manufacturer to add slightly larger tank.

50 lb cat? Guessing 9 - 11" wide head, maybe 33" long?
    80 lb?
    120 lb?

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The current world record blue, 124lbs, was 58" long, but some 100lb fish have measured well over 60". This chart may help you some: http://mdc.mo.gov/fish/sport/catfish/length_weight.htm Per the chart, a 60lb fish will often exceed 50".

My advice would be to shoot for a 60" length and at least a 15" width, and be absolutely sure it comes with a big enough hatch / door to get a big fish in and back out.

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Very well said. Almost describes my live well to a T! See the thing is it's not how many gallons of water the live well holds. I talk to a lot of different people that think the more gallons the better. Well it's just not true it's all in the shape. My live well is 67 gallons I figured. It's long and narrow and just about as deep as it is wide. I still figure I can put 200+ pounds of fish in it because it's the right shape. Catfish are long and there not a schooling fish so you do not have to have a deep live well for there health. That's another subject that gets to far overboard on live wells though.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    The bigger problem in many livewells centers around water flow. You can keep fish alive in a small livewell if you can pump enough water through the tank. (Provided the water isn't too warm - in July and August, it's a bad idea to keep fish in your livewell no matter how long...)

SeaArk ships the ProCat 240's with a single 500 gph pump to run both the front and rear livewells, totally inadequate. I recently installed a pair of 800 gph pumps (biggest you can use on 3/4" hose) on mine and it's made a huge difference. I also removed the manual 500 gph bilge pump and installed a 1100 gph automatic instead, along with bigger hose. Worked great in the downpour last Sunday...

Josh, myself and others have installed a Keepalive recirculating pump/aerator system in our livewells for use when the weather is hot. Combined with some frozen jugs of water to cool, you can keep catfish a lot longer. And ask anyone who's use the keepalive system what it's like trying to get the fish out of the livewell at the end of the tournament. Those suckers are wound up and mean!

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    KeepAlive...is that the deal Steve Brown has?

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
  7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I ant got a bigg enough one. Mabe this winter a lil Alum welding work and some new pumps ect. Gota refit the (new to me boat) any how. If ya ordering a boat they can build or install about anything out there. I just ant got the money for a new boat @ this time. Happy Ya getting a new one you can set up.:big_smile:

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yep, keepalive is the best pump I have ran into. I still don't understand why more and more Alum boat companys just don't install it instead of a non working cheap pump. Pump cost 100$ and solves a major propblem. No though you have to buy a 40k$+ bass boat before you start getting into live wells that actully keep fish "ALIVE". Marty is correct if you just have a normal recirculating live well pump. You got a have a coffin on board. Before I bought my keepalive I spent probably over 30 hours just reading and studing the functions of live wells. You can take it as complicated as you want or as simple. Keepalive is the simple solution that works. Man I need a sponsor ship from them......