Livers and how to get them to stick on the hook?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Chief, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    been usin chicken livers a lot the past season and plan to do so again. i have a little trouble getting them to stay on the hook. its not so bad when you get a good meaty batch, but half seems to be a slimy mess! i heard of using cheese cloth or nylon, but i was wondering if there anything easier to do?

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Livers get to be a slimey mess if they get too warm. Keep them in a cooler. I keep mine in a little bitty sandwich type cooler with blue ice. Usually, they stay pretty firm most of the day...I mainly fish in the daytime, only time available. I hear the net and stocking works, but it seems to make to big of a gob at the end of the hook for me. Also, don't use a whole liver to bait your hook, just cut off a thumb size or bit bigger chunk, and use a knive or, as I do, get a pair of Fiskar's kids school scissors at Wally World for 88 cents and use them to cut your livers. Failing that, use shrimp.

3. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

While I haven't used any livers in years, long ago I used to freeze them and then dethaw them in the microwave. You can do this several times, and just like you would expect if you did that to a steak, the texture of the meat gets a little tough and rubbery, more so with each cycle.

And as gadzooks mentioned, heat will turn them to soup.

4. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Stuff em a lil smaller than the size you need into the wife's nylons (wait till she takes em off first and save yourself a lengthy explanation- worst decision I never made!) Anyhow, tie it tight in there till the liver "baggie" bulges good and tight, and clip off excess. It will stay on the hook for longer than you may even want it there. To remove it, cut the liver baggie off with a knife and start over.

5. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    I use livers pretty often throughout the season and the best way I've come up with is to cut ya some nice hook sized pieces and lay them out in the sun on a board or something. After 10-30 min. of sittin there they get a nice "hookable" skin/film on 'em. Easy to hook, cast and then catch... No prob..
    Lucas:cool:

6. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    the best way to keep liver on ur hook is to cure them. Take a some livers cut them up in good size fishin chunks put them on a pan cover them with garlic powder and then salt take them outside let them sit for couple hours turn them and garlic and salt the other side let sit then just bag them makes them really tough hard to sling off the hook sometimes they like the cured livers better than the fresh

7. Mr. Catfish

Mr. Catfish Member

State:
    Indianapolis, I
    I use magic thread, it's thread that stretches and sticks to itself so you don't have to tie it.. works well for me. Hope this helps

8. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
  9. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    mmmmm. chicken liver jerky with garlic. i'll have to try that.

10. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    :thumbsup: You can try making a fresh liver dip bait with them too. Cook up some cornmeal using only 2/3 the water recommended.Get it good and thick.
    Put drained livers in a blender and puree them.Do'nt overdo it or they will partially cook. Mix them together while the corn meal is still warm. Use a dip bait rig or a Looper rig, and you are good to go. To make it stick a little better , you can add a couple of raw eggs.It will thicken when it cools.
    Works pretty good that day and any left overs will age to a regular blood type stink bait.One of the few recipes that will work both ways.

BILL

11. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    I set mine out in the sun for a while to toughen the outsides it seems to stay on the hook better

12. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You can leave about 8in.of tagline and wrap it around about 10 times then snug it on the hook. You can also put the livers in a panny-hose and tie it, thn cut it ,then put a hook through it.

13. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Personally I do as people have already stated and keep them cool, but not frozen. I usually sift through and find a good tough piece, string some of the not so tough pieces on, then thread the tough piece on in front of the weaker pieces, this has given me some success. And another thing, never try and cast too hard with livers, always try and use the least amount of force possible, flip casts work great.

14. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Curing them makes them stay on the hook better, but I seem to have better luck with them fresh. Like everyone said, keep 'em cool. Also cut them with a sharp knife, don't try to tear them. I use a 4 or 6 treble hook, and just kinda drape it around and on the barbs. Lob it out gently, don't heave it. BTW, I use them mostly in lakes, so no current helps also.

15. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Women's Nylons Work Real Well For Keeping Liver On The Hook.

16. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    i kick the chicken livers long ago..i use beef liver or pork liver..just as bloody and alot tougher...around here you can get it and it's kinda in like slabs..i always use an old pair of scissors and cut me a nice size strip and i am ready to roll...

17. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I just dig to find a good piece and will sometimes let chicken or worms soak in the soft pieces. Keep em cool and bring a couple tubs.

18. wildman36

wildman36 New Member

State:
    oregon
    they stay firmer when there cool so keep them in a cool place before you use them.I always wrap string around the liver and that seems to work good

19. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    This kind of the way I do it but I will pour the chicken livers in a zip lock baggie (drain some of the juice) pour an entire shker of garlic salt in with it
    (very heavy dose) and a little flour and then just cut hook size pieces to bait the hook and set in the sun for a little bit. Makes it tuff enough to stay on the hook for a good while.

AL

20. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Treble hooks keep liver decent...tying them on with sewing thread works. Curing makes them more firm.

Here's another option...Beef Melt.

Go to a meat market that slaughters their own beef. Ask for beef melt. It's a red and bloody muscle lining in the abdomen. Looks kinda like an EXTRA large beef tounge.

Cut into usable sized strips you can put onto your hook. Soak in chicken liver or blood bait for 24-48 hours...or longer if you have that much time. This will give it that chicken liver stank that the catfish seem to love so much.

Melt is MUCH MUCH more durable than liver. You may need a knife and a pair of needle nose to get it off your hook. You can definately catch multiple fish on one piece of bait. Only bad thing IMO is that it loses it's flavoring after a lengthy time in the water...and you'll need to rebait. other than that...ZERO complaints.

My neighbor always told me that melt was good stuff...but I pretty much ignored his advice until I saw him catch a stringer full of blues in the river when we went wade fishing together...including a 30 lb blue.

Been a big time believer ever since....and I have caught many large stringers of channel, blues, and wiper since then on melt.