liver?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by dwordenfish, Jan 6, 2010.

1. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    I visited again this year and spent 5 long days on the water. You may have seen us in the p.o.s. tracker. Two guys from Massachusetts.
    The first fish of the trip was around 60 lbs and 46" long, and was caught on beef liver. This was not the first time we have caught big ones on liver. We had no trouble getting bait, but we brought some beef liver from the slaughterhouse and some bluefish steaks that were frozen. I thought it might be a good idea to have a back up, in case we didn't get bait. Has anyone out there used liver, not chicken liver, but a big slab of liver the size of your hand cut from a fresh whole cow liver? It works. I thought this might be useful as a backup in case bait was tough to catch bait.
    We caught a few 60 lbers, a couple of 50's, a couple of 40 lbers, and many 30 lbs and under. Gotta love the full moon period. My pb was 47.5 inches long. Most of the fish were caught on shad. We got a huge flathead about 40 lbs in the castnet. Would have liked to get him in on the rod and reel instead.
    Did anyone catch a fish within the first half hour of the new year?
    I caught one just after midnight and we only saw one boat out there.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  2. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Congrats on the great week of fishing. I'm sure it was worth the trip coming down for some great fishing. Good luck on your next trip brother, tight lines

3. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    It may not be of concern to you but I don't use animals parts because it's not allowable in accordance with IGFA rules. As such, if you catch a potential record fish, you would be disqualified from having it registered. If you don't care about having a record fish, then who cares what the IGFA rules says as long as you follow the state regulations. Personally, if I'm going to fish waters with the potential for a world record (and the James is one) then I'm going to do whatever I can to make sure that if the fish of a lifetime comes along that I can get if certified, as long as I can release it later.

Here's what the IGFA says:
    The following acts will disqualify a catch:
    6. Chumming with or using as bait the flesh, blood, skin, or any
    part of mammals other than hair or pork rind used in lures designed for
    trolling or casting.

Here's a link to the whole enchilada:
    http://www.igfa.org/PDF/InternationalAnglingRules09.pdf

Congrats on your catch, sounds like it was worth the trip.

Tight lines.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I saw you in a sand pit. I was in the Maroon and silver lund alaskan. Did you catch anything drifting with the wind?

5. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    We got one good hit, then the bait disappeared of the screen. We really wanted to catch a big one on the slip bobber, but we only got small ones. Have you ever caught any drifting the barge pits?

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I use slip bobbers drifting all the time fishing eels for stripers in the Chesapeake Bay but have never tried it for cats. Ought to work though!