Liver

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by HARVRAD2003, Apr 12, 2006.

1. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Bought some liver from walmart last year, aprox 3 lb. of it---it's been in the freezer for aprox. 9 months, will this still be good for catting or should I buy new liver to fish with. I figure I'll be buying a few more lbs. of the stuff anyway but I was just wondering about the frozen ones wether they would be any good.

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    As long as it has been frozen i'm sure it will be OK. Throw a mess of garlic salt on it and lay it out in the sun for 3 or 4 hours and it will be even better!

3. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I have 1 container that I put garlic salt on and let set out on the rocks on a old cookie sheet while I was fishing last year. It also has been in the freezer since last summer. Is there a better brand of liver to buy from walmart or does it make much difference.

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Hey Randy, try it! maybe it will be even better now.

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "..kind of hard to keep on a hook.."

Ya know, I have always heard this but never had that problem...
    I always freeze mine and peel it out as it thaws.
    Of course you can't power-sling it out like it is a spinnerbait you are shooting to the moon.. but a right-good lob will get it there..

As to the old liver.. if it is not freezer burned it should be fine.

6. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    You can always "nuke" it in the microwave for 20 sec. or so to rubber it up a bit...

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Myself I Always Use Sewing Thread To Keep Liver On Hook. I Have A Spool In My Tackle Box At All Time.just Pull Out About A Foot And Wrap It Around The Liver Fairly Tight.you Don't Have To Tie It On .liver Stays On Good And Harder For Kitty Cat To Get Off Hook. Good Luck No Mater What You Try Or Do.

8. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I think I'll try using the old frozen stuff plus take another 3-5 more containers that are fresh, more can't hurt I figure anyway, since there will be around 10 of us fishing.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    If you cure the liver you wont have to worry about using hose or thread.And you can still toss it out there a mile.

10. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I freeze mine all the time for long periods of time but I also put a whole shaker of garlic salt in it at the same time and when it thaws out enough to bait my hook with it, I use a small cut of it and it's pretty tough as it is.
    Works great for me.

AL

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here are a couple of hints for saving money on cured chicken livers. Shop discount groceries, especially those that specialize in buyouts and outdated stuff. They probably won't always have livers, but when they do, you can buy for pennies on the dollar. I bought a 40# flat of them for $9.00. Another savings is to buy a large (11 oz.) jar of garlic powder at one of these stores; I bought one today for a buck. Then you can buy 3 boxes of salt for another buck. So, for $2 you can make up several pounds of garlic salt suitable for curing livers. That's a whole lot cheaper than buying garlic salt. Just be sure to buy NON-iodized salt. The store where I bought the garlic salt only had iodized salt; Wal Mart generally does have the non-iodized salt in their store brand priced at 3 boxes for a dollar, though.

12. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Last year I cured livers for the first time. I layed them on a cookie sheet and sprinkled them with garlic powder. Layed them in the hot sun for about an hour each side. They were tough when I put them in a ziplock before I went fishing. After a while, they started getting soft again. How do ya'll keep them tough? The bag did have condensation in it the whole time. Think maybe that was the problem?
    What about storage after fishing?

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Two reasons. First, you have to use salt...a LOT of salt for proper curing. Stuff like garlic powder or anise is for flavoring and smell; it has nothing to do with the curing process. Second, you didn't leave them in the sun nearly long enough. This time of year, I'd guess that half a day on each side would barely be enough; You might have to leave them for the better part of a day on each side to get proper curing. Now, during hot summertime, 3 or 4 hours on each side will do the trick; I've had to take as long as 4 or 5 days in cool weather.

14. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    an hour won't hardly do anything...you have to fry those baby's. sit them out in the sun for at least 8 hours each side. and you will have a liver that you can cast a mile. be sure to have PLENTY of salt...and i mean PLENTY!

15. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Appreciate the advice guys. Hopefully I can start them today and by Saturday they will be good to go. Have a tournament Saturday night and I have nothing for cutbait. So livers and shrimp are the choices.

16. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    This is the first year Ive made and used cured livers. I have yet to catch a catfish but the bass and bluegill seem to love it. Its just now starting to warm up so Im hoping the cats will hit next time I go. Ive cured the livers for a few days with 5-6 hours here and there. I think I finally got them right where I can pull a piece off and it doesnt become mushy. No real blood coming out of it, kind of looks like not done deer jerky.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Properly cured liver can still be a little squishy, like well done steak, or it can be so hard that it sounds like a piece of plastic when you hit it against the side of the boat; any liver cured to a point within that range will stay on a hook, and last for a year or more if kept in the fridge. With two guys fishing out of the same boat, one with squishy livers and one with hard ones, we couldn't tell any difference in how well they worked.

If you're running short of bait choices, you might take along a little bacon and salt pork.

18. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    When the weather is hot i just cure them for 2 hours on each side and its tough enough to cast a mile without comming off.But when its cooler you will have to leave it out longer.

19. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I started curing my livers yesterday and left them out over night. The storm last night woke me up and the first thing I thought of was my livers sitting on top of my shed. I kept saying the 'S' word over and over and woke my girlfriend up. She asked me what was wrong and I told her that it was raining and I left my livers outside. She got a little pissed because I woke her up. She just doesn't understand.
    I brought them to work this morning, drained them and started over. Temperatures in the 80's should make them ready to use tomorrow evening right?

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You'll probably be able to use them tomorrow evening. Just be sure that they are cured to the point you want, or they won't hold up. Properly cured livers should last over a year in the fridge. Since the livers got rained on before they finished curing, you'll probably need to re-coat them with salt. Salt is vital in curing livers; scents/tastes like garlic or anise are nice, but optional.