liver - What do you use to keep it on your fishing hook?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by missouri cat hunter, Apr 25, 2009.

1. missouri cat hunter

missouri cat hunter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i was just wondering wat u guys use for liver to keep it on the hook.i take the the liver and pour salt over it and use a liver hook and it never seems to fall off until i get a bite but i used the liver in the river lakes and streams and it just dont seem to falll off i learned about that trick from an old mad by the river up in iowa so wat do you all use

2. jctiger

jctiger New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Missouri
    I have seen guys put a big glob of Liver on a treble hook
    and wrap a small piece of pantyhose around it.Then they
    tie it at the eye of the hook with thread,works pretty good
    really.

3. Catfish Levi

Catfish Levi Member

State:
    chillicothe, mo
    i put it on a j hook then wrap it with a nightcrawler it works pretty good for me

4. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Panthose has worked, althought i am convinced they do not bite it as readily. When they do you hook up more often without it getting stolen however. Salt as you mentioned works...sometimes i pour garlic salt on the livers and leave them set on in the drive and toughen a little so they stay on better. I have not has as great of success with Beef Livers over chicken but they stay on the hook better.

Something I have not tried but heard works, is to take chicken hearts and soak them in blended up livers and liver blood and they will actually soak up the blood and liver matter and stay on the hook much better while still giving off the sent trail and blood.

5. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    mustad bait/liver holder hooks, they look like a safety pin with 2 hooks at the bottom. you can get them at most bait shops, but for the larger sizes which i use most your best bet is to look at cabelas or bass pro, online or in store

6. Tim70

Tim70 New Member

State:
    Maplewood, Missouri
    I was gonna try those safety pin hooks till I saw how much they were. 11 bucks for 4 of them. Ouch

7. missouri cat hunter

State:
    missouri
    ya but they work i live by them i was always planing to put another hook on them insted of 2 have 3 and then it would be easier to set the hooks

8. Tim70

Tim70 New Member

State:
    Maplewood, Missouri
    If they really work I might buck up for some. I just got back from fishing with livers. It was quite aggravating. One little strike and the liver is gone.

9. missouri cat hunter

State:
    missouri
    YA LIVER HOOKS ARENT LIKE THAT BUT THEY ARE HARDER TO SET

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I put it on a j hook usually always stays on for me , I keep it fresh and cold . If it gets warm it aint worth a crap for putting on a hook . When I started fishing it tears ago I used liver hooks and always seemed to break one of the hooks off . So I practiced putting it on a j hook till I mastered it . The main thing I learned is fresh and cool .

11. massa_blake

massa_blake Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Blake
    Cheese cloth will do the trick I'm sure it works about like the panty hose.

12. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
  13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I am mostly a catch & release kinda guy, so I never use the following anymore. However, when I did, it worked better than anything else I have heard of.
    I take a treble hook & carefully poke the eye end through the liver, just barely enough for the eye to show. I used one of those clip type swivels on my line and attached the clip then to the eye of the treble.
    I also used the salt idea, except I used garlic salt, then dried it either by the sun or by dehydrator.

14. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
  15. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Forget about chicken livers,turkey liver is just as good for bait and 10 times as tough.

16. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I just take the chicken liver, put it my hook, then I rip off a about an 8 inch piece of regular sewing thread and wrap it around the liver and hook. Don't need to tie it or anything, just wrap.

Stays on great: quick, cheap and easy to do.

Pat

17. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I tried to watch, but couldn't see anything past that blinding light reflecting on the right.:wink:

18. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I use a treble hook and sewing thread, put the liver on the treble anfd wrap it up with a peice of thread.

19. fowlnfish

fowlnfish New Member

State:
    Colorado
    I leave a 7" tagline when I tie the hook on, wrap it around the liver and tie it off back at the eye.

20. Pendernator

Pendernator New Member

State:
    SE Missouri
    I use pantyhose. I wrap the liver in a small piece of pantyhose then hook it on a treble hook.:big_smile: