Liver types

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by rcbbracing, Jun 3, 2009.

1. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Okay i dont use liver much anymore but i was curious about something. Ive been told about all the different types of liver people have used. Ive never had much luck on any liver except chicken liver....heard some good stuff about been and deer but never worked that great for me....what all types of liver have you guys tried? and what all worked and didnt work for ya? THANKS:roll_eyes:

2. DieRache

DieRache New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Find a local meat shop, one that does it's own processing. Ask them if they do their own Chickens. If so ask them to save The Roster's liver. I dont know why but it seems to work a lot better than the female chicken's liver. And it is tougher, hangs on the hook alot better. I normally bake mine out side for about 3 hours. Half with garlic powder and the other half with strawberry jello.

3. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    i use chicken liver and it always produces fish, tried beef liver before and it didn't produce. I have read on hear that turkey liver is even better than chicken but haven't found any yet so I'm not sure.

4. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    I've had good success with port liver, it has a really tough skin and will stay on a J hook when you cast as hard as you can. I've only used Wally World chicken livers and their fairly soft so ya got to toughen em up some. I had so-so results with beef liver and beef stew meat. I added sea salt and minced garlic to all of them so they have the same spices to see if there is a difference. Other than cut bait, the pork seems to do better than the chicken for me anyway.