Liver Tying

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jailcop2, May 19, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    This may not be new ,but I have'nt seen it on here so far. When using fresh liver , I leave 6-8 inches of tag line at the hook , thread the liver on your hook and as best you can twist the liver and hook again keep going twist , hook twist ,hook .Once you have your liver on take the tag line you left and wrap it around your liver and hook , when you reach the end snug the line into the liver . This helps hold your liver on for your longer casts , not fool proof but it does help .
    Brian

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Thanks Brian, that sounds like a good idea. I'll have to try it. Rep to you.

ST

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
  4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    When I used to fish with liver, I'd just use a snap swivel and push the treble hook through the liver, then snap it on the swivel. Works like a charm, especially if you get the eye of the hook through the ligaments in the liver.

5. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thanks for the extra ideas will give them a try.
    Brian

6. catmancats

catmancats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A method ive been using for chicken liver takes some time to prepare....... but here it goes.............

(1) take a tub of liver put it into a blender (slowest speed) blend until it looks like a milk shake.
    (2) pour contents into ice trays (Not the ones you use to make ice with, your wife might be upset with this).
    (3) freeze until frozen solid.
    (4) cut 2" by 2" squares from an old pair of panty hose
    (5) remove liver from ice trays one at a time.
    (6) wrap the frozen liver in panty hose square and tie with light fishing line.
    (7) Put liver in a container and place back in freezer until ready to go fishing.

Anyway this is what i do and works really good. The juices can seep out the panty hose(almost like chumming) while the meatier stuff stays locked inside. Also you can make long casts with out it flying off your hook , and the fish cant nibble and suck it off the hook either .......

Hope this helps someone out.....................

7. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thanks for the frozen liver entray idea think i'll try that one.
    Brian