Liver question.

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by georgiamike, Oct 16, 2006.

1. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    Friday night I was fishing at the barge at lake lewisville, I used a variety of baits with little luck, caught one small blue. Noone was having much luck only a few here and there. One lady was using chicken liver, with the liver just wrapped on the hook, she caught 5. I was using liver but wrapped up in panty hose in a small ball. The lady was fishing in a different spot then me, about 40 yards away. My question is do you think it makes a difference if they are wrapped up in little balls inside the hose or not? I was thinking maybe I should use the tie on the hook with thread method.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    It probably makes little difference. Did you squeeze the pouch a bit to release a bit of blood? More than likely, she was in the right spot and held her mouth right. My daddy always taught me that success in fishing meant holding your mouth right.:big_smile:

3. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    40 yds can make a big difference in your fishing , that aside I have never had luck using the panty hose method .

4. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    ive never used hose for liver. never seemed to have to. I use a j style hook and kinda hook and wrap it on the hook. i run the hook through the liver then wrap it, then hook again, then wrap again, etc. i have noticed that liver can be too fresh also. has anyone used looper rigs with liver? I wonder if they would help?

5. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Aside from the distance between you two, did you notice if the hook size she was using was different from yours?

6. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    I didnt notice the hook size but I wasnt getting any bites other than the one I caught.

7. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Im guessing that she was just in the "sweet spot" then. Dont give up brother!

8. kryton

kryton New Member

State:
    ohio
    me i have hade luck both ways it dont matter to me or too the fish :go:

9. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have to agree that she probably had a honey hole going for her. However, my experience with liver has been, that they don't seem to like it as well, when it's wrapped. Seems like they just hit and let go when I wrap it in panty hose. I know it's a pain to keep on the hook, but sure seems to pay off. (when their hitting liver)

10. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    i never wrap mine.i just thread it on like you said.as long as you loft it it will stay on.if you sling it as hard as you can it will probaly fly off

11. greasemonkey07

greasemonkey07 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The panty hose method works great for turtles, but i would use the thread method for the cats. Justkeep trying and don't give up.

12. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Don't Use The Panty Hose, I've Never Had Any Luck With It.

13. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Try Samll Rubber Bands Instead Of The Panty Hose To Help Keep The Liver On The Hook.

14. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hi Mike, welcome to the fishing site.
    To your question on using sewing thread are pantie hose to hold your liver on the hook. I will tell you what works for me. The main thing is get the freshest chicken liver that you can find in the store. "check the date on the package " What I do after I have the liver on my hook, I take about two foot of thread and hold the hook and one end of thread between my thumb and fore finger and just start wrapping the thread around the liver, not two tie are it will cut through your liver .I even go up and over the top of the hook on the line a couple of times to help keep it from sliding down the shank. I have read where some people have trouble casting with out loosing their liver after tying it this way. Now don't laugh but. But a solution to that is take a couple of sheets of toilet paper and wrap around your liver good and tie. It will become soaked with the blood from the liver but it will hold in in place while casting and after it hits the water the blood soaked paper will melt away and float down stream leaving a trail strait back to your hook. I think the paper would work fine on any bait that your having trouble keeping on your hook. Hope this helps.

15. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    I'll throw in my 2 cents. I used to fish alot with liver for channels before chasing blues with cut bait. So here are my 3 tips of the day with liver. Number one always throw out further than you need too and wind in the bait to your spot. This creates a scent trail giving you a better chance of something crossing your path. You could use a treble by pushing the eye through it and clipping it to a snap of some type. Three if you have trouble keeping liver on like a kahle hook try this. Sounds silly and really looks silly and might get you a few looks. This is how I did it before boat days. Let out 4-7 feet of line and here it comes, take your pole and swing the bait around in a circle a few times above your head and let it go! By now you think I pulling you leg..try it. Good luck Craig

16. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    heck ya it matters. if i swam up on a chilly dog that was covered in pantyhose but 5 feet further up there was one not covered...well, i would go for the last one.....

the secret, no 6 bait holder trebles (w/spring), wrap big piece of live slowly until it catches good on the shaft, cast away with no weight, let fish run 5 to 10 feet. you own it now......

egg

17. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    This is just what an old timer told me this past summer & I haven't tried it or will endorse it one way or the other but this was what the old dog told me.
    "Think panty hose wraps on liver only work if you use just the crotch of the hose on a pair that were worn quit a bit."
    :embarassed:

18. amatuer cat catcher

amatuer cat catcher New Member

State:
    NC
    i have found that cats will bite liver better if it is not in a panny hose for some reason but that is just from my experience

19. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

No panty hose. What I found, that works for me, is about three days before I go fishing with liver cover it in salt and garlic powder. put it back in the fridge for three days. The salt toughens p the outer layer of the liver without affecting the blood content and the garlic just adds smell and flavor.

20. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Great idea on the paper I tie mine with thread gotta try the paper thanks