Liver Hooks

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by khensu0213, Sep 26, 2006.

1. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Anyone ever heard of, or used liver hooks?
    I did my best to create a picture of what they look like (pretty bad, but you'll get the idea), but basically the ones I've used have a longer 2 pronged shaft with a hook on each end (picture a large treble hook with only 2 prongs instead of 3). There's also a needle like piece that is used to thread the liver onto so it kind of sits on top of the two prongs, and the needle shaft latches at the top. Whenever I've used these type of hooks, I seem to still lose the bait just as often as when I use regular hooks. This past summer, I only got one good bite on these hooks. I wonder if anyone else uses them and what kind of success you've had.

liver hook.jpg

2. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Nope, Never seen em' but I'd definately use them if I could find them!

3. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    Never seen em but my problem is not keeping the liver on the hook, I use the pantyhose trick, my problem is getting the kiddie cats to bite

4. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    If I'm not mistaken the CatfishConnection has them where they look like a safty pin :0a16:

5. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Bass Pro also carries them. They are pretty expensive if I remember right. I think I paid 5.50 for 4 hooks. Now I just cure my liver and use circle hooks.

6. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah they are....the medium sized ones I buy at my bait shop cost $1.79 per hook.

7. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Is this the hook your talking about ( picture attached). If so it is popular around here but don't know anyone who has actually caught anything with them. I have a few in my tackle box but don't use them. $1.25 each. Made by Mustad.

liver hook (500 x 375).jpg

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv never seen a hook like that , does it work ? does it really hold the liver

9. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    Have used them a few times but actually don't see much difference with them> you can still sling the liver off if you try to cast a great distance. I like the good ole J hooks for liver. I usually don't fish liver very far out from shore so I don't have much problem with it. They are not worth the money.

10. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    Jeff, I have used those a few times with little luck. The liver seems to slide out really quick and at almost 2 bucks a hook I'll stick with spring trebles

egg

11. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I havent used them because me and liver very seldome get along, however my neighbor swears by them. As everyone else ha stated, they are pricey.

12. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    THose are exactly the hooks.

13. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You know, I've noticed the same thing. Even though the hook is supposedly designed to hold the liver, I seem to lose it when casting as easily as when using other hooks. I also notice that when I do get bites while using this type of hook, it is rare that I'll actually hook into the fish. It's almost like they just suck the liver off the hook. I don't think I'll be investing in these anymore. I bought about 4 of them when I saw them, thinking they would be good, but I've been nothing but disappointed by them.

14. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I have used them a few times , they do hold the liver on quite well .

15. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    These hooks look interesting, but I would think that a good treble hook with bait holder spring would work just as well--and they are a whole lot cheaper!

16. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've seen them around, but never used them.