Liver Bait Size

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Spider, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I've never fished exclusively for catfish (yeah, I know), anyway I want to try some night fishing and not sure about the size of bait to use.
    I'm going to rig one rod with Chicken Liver in some cheesecloth. I'd like to know how much to use. I have no idea what the average size cats caught are but they are not huge. I was going to use a 3/0 circle hook but I'm getting the impression that I should go to maybe a 5/0. I'm restricted to shore fishing and will be winging it on a location. I haven't fished this dam for many years and then from a boat. Going to road trip to local Cabela's for some bigger hooks. I've been using Octopus Circle hooks and have had good luck with them for other fish spieces.
    I just have no idea how to figure what size bait would be too much for a given hook size.
    Thanks,
    Larry

2. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Good question, I generally use a piece about 3/4 " to 1 1/2 " depending on how thick it is. I'm trying some stuff this year, but using a circle hook I reckon ya want to leave enough hook point showing to allow it to work
    properly. I would think on a # 5 hook nothin over 1 1/2 inches but I don't have that much experience either.

3. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Thanks for the reply. At least it's a start. I had no idea and would probably ended up going too large. I only tried liver once and couldn't keep it on the hook. I knew little to nothing about technique then, I just baited with something and cast out. I didn't even give a concern to hook sizes. Whatever grabbed the bait ws fair game. I'm starting to try to fish more spieces specific now.
    Thanks again.
    Larry

4. Zing

Zing Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome larry to the BOC, I used to do a lot of fishing out of a boat with chicken liver and I used #1 and #2 hooks, I was not throwing it far and i was using half a chicken liver. I now fish with live gills or cut bait. My question is can you use cut bait there, can you use bluegills ?. A lot of people use worms fishing below the dam and they are easier to keep on a hook. I have nothing against liver I think it is a great bait for cats and if I was to fish the cape fear river again in NC I would use liver for eater size cats.

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like a hearty piece, and if it casts off, i usually downsize:wink: rollo

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    If your liver is soft or your casting it off easly try a 2in X 2in peice of panty hose. It sounds funny but it stretches alot so you can rap it around it and or you can make little pouches that you only have run the hook through one time and you won't cast it off.

7. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    I use half a liver on a 4/0 long shank hook. As you are hooking it twist it every time as you go threw it seems to help. And hook it threw as many times as you can. It is soft enough that you can hind the point of the hook. I have caught 4" cats with it they can get it in thier mouth. Use a nice smooth swing and lob it out there and it will fly right out there on the hook.

8. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    When I'm using liver, I put it in a mesh square that I've cut into about 4". Using enough to make a bait about the size of a golf ball, you can sling it a long ways.