Lively bait flipping off of kahles

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by primitive, Jun 20, 2009.

1. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I use 7/0 kahle hooks and very wild gills for bait. Sometimes the gills thrash around so much they fly off the hook before I get them cast into the river. Now I set there worry maybe the bait is gone. Fishing heavy snags I can't check my bait often. If I don't feel the gill bounceing the line, he may be off. Bad feeling. I like kahle hooks but I starting to reconsider. Sometimes the flathead inhale the bait and just lay there, so I don't think circles would be better.

2. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Try a small rubber oring. Bait it up and slide one over the barb.:wink:

3. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    7's are small I use 10 gama O's -but I've used 8's and never had such a problem... how are you hooking them I wonder?

And I hate the feeling of thinking my bait's dead or gone too! lol

4. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i think dr. pepper hit it on the nose, try using something bigger 9/0 or 10/0 kahles. i got some big mean orange bellied wild gills i use when i can catch em and they havent come off yet.

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

You,ve gotten some good advice!Bigger hook=bigger barb!I personally like 10/0 Mustad 92671,s.:wink:

6. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I found a hook made by Gamma called the big River hook and they a good.You can use some realy big bait on them and they will hook any thing that bites.

7. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I like the Eagle Claw King Kahles, 8-10 ought. I have used 12" bass on these, and larger trash fish and they have not come off.

8. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    I have used 6/0 kahles and NEVER seen that happen.How are you hooking your bait?I go threw the lips in current.I also hooked some leftover fish in a bait tank overnight.I tried all the ways and the only ones that lost the hook was the ones threw the back and a couple threw the eyes.The ones with the hook in the back also where dead in the morning(all where Creek Chubs).Also the ones threw the lips and eyes swimmed better than threw the back.