Livebaiting for Channel Catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by villaitefla, Oct 3, 2006.

1. villaitefla

villaitefla New Member

State:
    Florida
    I fish a lake that holds plenty of channels, and a few large ones (20lb+).
    I've been reading the posts on using livebaits, and to me that seems to be my best chance of sorting out the bigger fish. If I have to wait hours/days or whatever, I think it's going to be worth a try.
    So 2 questions ..........
    1) If you had the choice of bluegill or shiner livebait ... which would you use?
    2) Do I fish them on the bottom, or just off (say 8-12")

The lake is overpopulated with turtles, and even though they fight really hard !!!!! I need a bait to get past them. (They just love fresh Bluegill cutbait !?!?), and again a good sized livebait may do that. (Although I have had my fair share of turtles on livebait shiners when fishing for bass :sad2: )

2. hawkman

hawkman Member

State:
    Hiawatha,Ks
    I would use chubs or green sunfish

3. villaitefla

villaitefla New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks Hawkman, but to be honest I'm not even sure we have chub or green sunfish down here in Florida .. ?? Anyone have any ideas ?? That's why I mentioned Shiners and Bluegills as I know we have them !!
    I see from another post that Bluegill heads are a favourite bait, so I may fish 2 rods .... one with livebait and the other with a head. Will be interesting to see how the Channels react.

4. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    bluegill cutbait works really good for me!

5. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I'd use live bluegills or chubs. Being alive might keep the turtles from getting them. If your after bigger fish use bigger bait. using live gills or chubs will help weed out the smaller cats also. You might get less bites but they will be good size fish. Good luck man.

6. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Try a pretty good size goldfish-
    JMO

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Nice thing about gills, they're free except for the castnet or bait to catch them. Live gills wll work. Try suspending the bait with a float, it helps some with turtles.

8. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I would have to say go with a bream about 4-6 inches big enough so that the turtles and smaller cats will leave him alone. I usually hook em at end of the dorsal fin before the tail with a Eagle Kahle or a Shiner hook. This keeps em lively. Depending on the depth and where your fishing change the bobber depth as needed. I wouldn't try shiners though they don't have enough juice in em and usually die quickly on the hook, plus the turtles and bass will be all over em. Hope this helps ya, good luck fishin.

9. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    use you a big bluegill ive caught as little as a 4 pound channel on a 5 inch bluegill so it shouldnt matter much on the size:smile2:

10. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Go with the gills , you can always cut into big chuncks for the bigger fish to get the scent trail out there .

11. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I would use large creek chubs.. i think sun fish are just to aggresive.. i use them for cut bait. or use a smaller sized gill... but i think the best bet would be the chubs..

12. riverwiskers

riverwiskers New Member

State:
    kelly nc
    Never caught a channel on any type of live fish. But I mainly fish where the flats are.

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Live or cut perch or shad works great for big channels too. That's all I use anymore so I don't catch rough types of fish. It's hard to play keep-away with turtles. I catch 2 or 3 every time I go fishing.

14. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    In Fla I Think I would use 1 large shinners they they are expensive for the 7 ore 8 inch ones 2 bluegill gold fish only if I :006: couldn`t find any thing else

15. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Tony,

I would go with the "Live Bluegill" fished on a "Carolina Rig" about 12" to 18" from the bottom.
    :0a26:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

16. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    in florida green sunfish are an endangerd species

17. harecutter

harecutter New Member

State:
    Sebastapol,Texas
    Chicken livers..........

18. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Id try either small chubs or large or jumbo shiners.

Wheelmobile07

19. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Never use goldfish live or cut in Fl. unless your willing to pay the price. You stand a chance of getting BIG fines & or jail time as well as loss of gear.

If I was you I wouldn't bother fishing live baits for C. cats in Fl,they rarely hit live baits. Use cut bluegill & shad fished on a bottom rig w/small float fixed to your leader to keep the bait just off the bottom. You can weed out some of the smaller fish & turtles by using a few rods baited with cicken liver casted a little bit away from your targeted area.

20. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I'd Recommend B. Gills Cut In Large Chunks Or Cut In Half Depending On The Size, Live Gills Work But I Think Cut Bait Works Better.