Livebait preference, (pond caught or river caught)

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by s_man, Jan 29, 2006.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Last year I put in alot of extra time and effort catching bait from the river I fish rather than getting bait from one of the ponds near my house.
    The gills I caught from the river fought harder & longer while on the hook, and practically went crazy right before they were eaten. While pond gills just seem to settle on the bottom and hide. Any river bait like baby carp, drum, shad they also struggle more. I caught more fish last year because of this, plus my PB 44 lb er. What works best for you guys?

2. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i have always done better on fish out of the river because they are stronger and use to always moving. Think about it in a pond the gills can sit still and not have to move and theres no current to fight against. While a blue gill has to deal not only with current but Catfish and Bass moving in and out of the holes from current to current. I have never used lake shad so i dont know that one, i have used carp but didnt do any good. But suckers and chubs out of the river are lively and very good bait.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've alwasy heard (& beleive it too) that bait caught from the same body that you are fishing is ideal.

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    yeah i've heard that to but sometimes you cant get to bait fish expecially if its a very deep section of river

5. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It's a good concept that I never heard of before I think I will try that.

But the downside might be That those gills know what to expect when they see a catfish? Those ones from the pond might be a little stupid.

What do you think :confused:

Josh

6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i guess that depends on how many bluegill in the lake and number of catfish. If the pond is smack full of large and small bluegills most likely theres not that many in any catfish in the pond or lake

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    bait from a river is better, but i really dont see that much of a difference between pond/river caught. as long as their healthy and not paper thin.

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    I agree, its nice if you can get a 6 inch gill out of the river, that doesnt mean i would take a gill out of the pond thats 8 inches and not use it for bait

9. eaglesfan00000

eaglesfan00000 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I never really thought of it because i get my bait from a creek, but that is a
    good point.

10. John Rogers

John Rogers New Member

State:
    va
    I think I have my best luck using monster gold fish. I think they can live longer on a hook than the native river fish. I'll also hit the pond and take a couple bluegill, bass if I cant find any big goldfish.

11. MNwiskers21

MNwiskers21 New Member

State:
    South Saint Paul, MN
    Hello,

I live in Minnesota and useing other fish for bait is illegal. The only other fish that you can use for bait is bullheads and when useing bullhead alive they must come out of the body of water you are fishing in. The only bait I catch is creek chubs and I use them dead so they can be use in any body of water. When useing minnows bought from a bait shop and you are done fishing for the day and you don't want to keep the minnows you can not dump them in the lake you are fishing in.

Take Care!

Sincerely, Kevin

12. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I use bluegill from whatever pond around here I can catch them in. They are very hard to locate in our river... That being said I haven't noticed a difference between them and the few river gills I have used.

13. BIGBASS3638

BIGBASS3638 New Member

Its Tru That Bait Caught In The Same Place Your Fishing Is Best

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i have used both, and didnt see any diference. i use pond gills now because its fast and simple to get. around here you catch chubs in creeks for bait. like said gills are hard to come by in our river. there is no way i would have enough time to catch all the baitfish we use in a summer. we will go threw 1000+ gills in a summer,just too much bait to get from creeks. i can hit the pond for 10 to 20 mins. and have enough bait for the trip. maybe im just lazy or cheap with my gas and time. lol

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have a friend that SWEARS if you take bait from one place such as a pond and fish it somewhere else ie a river or vice versa it is best to allow the bait to swim 24 hrs in water from the place you are going to fish it.He says they smell different if you don't.Not sure I buy into that but he is very successful and the idea might have some merit.

16. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i agree, sure gills out of the river are stronger and stay alive longer. But they are also harder to find, when pond gills are usually at the top of the water are easy to spot and easy to catch. It really come down to whether you have the patience to get river gills

17. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    I believe river bait is more affective than pond bait.i have used big blue gills from a pond and you didnt even know i was fishing with live bait.put a river gill on a different pole and the tip kept bouncing from the gill pulling.River gills are just stronger and more active all together.

18. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    That's what I found steve, I just think the more time the bait spends out there struggling and sending out vibrations the better your chances over a gill that just hunkers down and will not move till you prod him every few minutes. And believe me It takes me 4 or 5 times as long to catch enough to even head out. But if I"m limited on time, I don't hesitate to use those pond gills. Anythings better than nothing.

19. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    Out of all the live bait we used this year I gotta say cut shad outfished them all. Live bait came from pond, lake, river/creek and bait store. All seemed as lively as the next. Actully had a 10 lbers (can't remember now if it was a flat or channel) take my chub and dips gill in it's mouth at the same time. Yes, we both caught it.

20. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bill, I know your from the Grand Lake area, so I will forgive you, but how many of those Cut Shad were live? I have to get me some of those! :p