Live Wells have never worked

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Catmanjack, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Hi all I have a problem and I need your help. Last year I bought a triumph 19 foot boat that has 2 livewells in it. The boat is a 2003 but it was never used before I purchased it. My problem is that the livewells don't pump water into them. I can hear the motor buzzing when I start the livewells but no water. I tried driving the boat in reverse and foreward for quite a while to see if there was maybe a priming problem but no good there. The place I bought the boat from has been no help so now I am going to the brotherhood for some ideas....

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    The pumps should have an inlet at the waterline.. Try putting a garden hose on full blast up to it and see if you get water to the pump (may have to remove the plastic cage) .. Tone of the pump will change once water hits it...
    If still no water spits out, take the hose off the outlet off the pump and shoot the garden hose into it.. Doing those will help you figure out if/where there is a blockage in the line....

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    also, make sure that when they installed the inlet, it put below the waterline :wink:

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    See if the lever on the pump is in the open position so water can come thru the pump.The lever is at the botom of the pump where the thru hull goes thru the hull.:big_smile:

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Muddobbers. Check for them in all your inlets and outlets. The regularly messed with me til I started screening everything. Camper and boat.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Most livewell pumps come apart for cleaning. Is the pump running? Sometimes shut off valves may be present in the line and like Whistler said, the intakes may be clogged.
    Dirt dobbers will reek havoc on outboard motors and boats.