live wells for big flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bigfish, Feb 9, 2006.

1. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    not sure where i needed to put this thread, so if i put it in the wrong place sorry. but the ? is do catfishing tourny's require live wells to get fish back to weigh in station. if so how do you make a live well big enough to put more than one of these monsters in. my fishing partner and i have caught several 15 plus # flats a night. we always practice cpr on all flats. we have talked about fishing some tourny's this year. so anyway i am working on a boat project posted in the boat section. so i need to know if i need to bother with a live well or not.

2. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    I had the same problem. I don't know how big your boat is, but I was using a cooler for tournaments and I didn't have hardly enough room in the boat and also trying to keep three catfish comfortalble and alive was the biggest problem. If you go to the library you can see several good ideas. I made what I called the "floating livewell". If you have room in your boat, you could put a big cooler in your boat and make a livewell out of it with a bilge pump.

Check out the library, there are some really good ideas that may hell you.

3. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    thanks for advice rockjumper. will go to the library. have 16' johnboat havent even had it in the water yet. have started post of my boat project in boating section.

4. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    I had trouble finding the library, but if you want to see the ideas, go to "BOC publication" and click on "Informative member Post". Hope that helps.

5. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    I use a minnow aggitator to transport fish from northern Oklahoma 200 miles south to the noodling tourney every year and have never lost one {YET} . I have also kept them alive several days at home in a cement tank you just can't put little ones with big ones I've seen a 40 try to eat a 20

6. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    How big are minnow aggitaters? And where do you buy them? Thanks for the help!

7. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    Mine is about 18 inches tall and 3in.diameter you can get them at cabela's but I have not had good luck with them ask your local bait shop to get you one but be prepared to spend around $150

8. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    rock jumper that was awesome. glad you told how to find the library cause i couldnt. dont think im making this up but i was talking to myself, i said self, theres got to be a way to build something to keep in the water to hold these monsters. we regularly catch 20#ers the area needed to keep 5 or 6 of these would take up a lot of space. hope you dont mind me using your idea cause i will be making me one. the only ? is do these tournaments that require live well to enter mean a on board live well. :0a24:

9. Ducain

Ducain New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  10. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    hope you dont mind me using your idea cause i will be making me one. the only ? is do these tournaments that require live well to enter mean a on board live well. :0a24:[/QUOTE]

I don't mind you using that Idea at all, quite honored. I put it on here to help others. The tournaments that I have been in only require that the fish are alive and returned back to the river. I put them in a cooler in the back of my truck and take them to the weigh in. Check on regulations of the tournaments that you enter. That floating livewell that I have made, I have put that thing thru sooooooo much abuse. I have pulled it to fast and it goes down like a submarine but it always comes back up! Ran over rocks, hit with the trolling motor.......LOL. Good luck and hope you get in the $$$$$!!

Ducain, thanks for posting the link, wasn't sure how to do it. It is insane alright. You should see the peoples faces when they come past me in the evening when I am setting up. I have that floating livewell out beside the boat. I always tell people that is my life boat!!!LOL

11. Ducain

Ducain New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I told bigfish he should just buy a small canoe and rig it up with a couple of batteries and a big pump, fill it half full of water, and chuck some fishies in.

That'd get people talking.

:)

12. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Sounds like a he!! of an Idea!LOL

13. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    what a neat idea! sure beats a big ole tub being in the boat in the way all day!!!

14. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    just wondering what you could use to make the front of the live well look more like a canoe, without making it to much bigger. that might make if pull throught the water better. rockjumper, what kind of tourny's do you fish that lets you drive to weigh in. the only one ducain and i know of you weigh in at launch site. this is why if we could only pull live well at 5mph we would have to stop fishing 3hrs just to get back in time.

15. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Have you thought abot using decoy bags to hold your fish while fishing and getting a inflateable kiddy pool to put the fish in on the run to the ramp to weigh in. All the flathead needs is to stay wet and pump some water through the gills, another trick is to use ice bottles to lower water temps 10degree`s and they should do fine.I have had alot of luck with keepin flats alive all day fishing tournaments doing this but ya just have tio stay on top of the water temp and change the water often to keep it`s quality good.A new product out is a oxygen producing bar that runs off of 12 volt battery and generates oxygen back in the water. Do`nt know how much heat it put`s in the water but youcould use frozen 2 litre bottles to combat heating in the water. Cabelas sells it and it`s about $100 for it, check it out and see if thats a way to work it for you.

16. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Well the tournys that I fish are a little, should I say, not fool proof. It is sponsered my a local store. I feel that some of the wiegh in fish was caught before the tournament and from ponds. I did have a post wanting to try to get a club started with some strick rules but the post got deleted. Eventhough the error of somebody cheatin are there, I still enjoy it. I know all the money that I collected I didn't have to walk "backwards" up to the table to get my money. Hoping someday that maybe something could get started to add some "honesty" to it all. Not saying that I think everyone is a cheater, it is just to possible for someone to.