live well pumps?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by THE FISH WHISPER'ER, Feb 1, 2006.

1. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

THE FISH WHISPER'ER New Member

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    at the risk of sounding silly how many live well pumps and or areaters does my 2000-lund 1775-pro-v have it has 2 live wells and nether one works now?- the fuses were blown ,i replaced them and they still dont work

2. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Should be a total of 4 pumps, one should be used to fill the livewell of each livewell and another on each to be used as an aerator on each livewell, look at the rear of your boat and see if you have two screens in the back, if you do then the pumps are located in the back those should be the pumps that fill the livewells, then you should have a screen in each livewell and those are for the aeration of each livewell............Doc

3. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    thanks i will chek that out now the tricky part will be gaining acess to them without destroying the deck

4. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    On my tracker it has a little cubby hole maybe 5" in diameter turn and out she comes flat round plate with two thumb indents, that gives me access to the pump for filling the live well.. look in back of boat close to where the motor is should be an access hole there.. best of luck to you..

5. THE FISH WHISPER'ER

State:
    waynesville ,IL
    wow i found the the hole cat traker but i would need to be strech armstrong to reach that stuffmaybey i should call my little and a lot skinnier brother

6. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I was shopping for a pump to fill and provide oxygen to my live well. This well was installed in front of the center consol by the previous owner and is nice and large, but the pump system does not work. I saw pumps with a detachable motor that allowed cleaning and replacing the motor without needing to alter the pipes. What do you think? I do not know much about the power needed either. I use my live well to keep bait alive too (shad mostly) and want to provide current and O2 for them. I know that they are hard to sustain. I thought that I would modify the square inside of the livewell to oval. Do these pumps have power ratings? I am mostly catch and release, so the live well will be mainly for bait. Thanks brothers! Hannibal Mike

7. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Hannibal Mike,

My boat and all my livewells have that same pump, Mayfair cartridge pumps, as far as ratings most are by Gallons per hour 500-750-1000, I like using the 500-750 gives a nice steady flow of water without a lot of force, max draw in amps are 2.0 so they are real easy on a battery. Putting an inline timer is even better on your battery as the pump will run 30 seconds and be shutoff for 2 min. That is more than enough to aerate fish or bait. They run off of 12 volt system

Be advised that if you remove the cartridge while your in the water then it's just like opening a big hole in the boat, I keep spares on board my boat but for 5 years I have never had to replace any of them. They are very reliable pumps, make sure that you have a screen at the intake of the pump to prevent scales and dirt from entering the infeed of the pump.

There are several designs out there, livewells which the pump is located outside of the livewells, has a hole into the livewell that the pump is mounted to the wall and the water is draw in and pumped back into the livewell, these are also known as recirculating.

Bilge pumps are pumps that can be submerged in water or tanks and draw the water out and pump in to a livewell or into another holding devise or they can be used as livewell pumps that take the water out of the livewell and pump into a sprayer bar and back into the livewell.

There are transom pumps which are located in a well in the back of the boat the pump fitting is in a penetration thru the transom of the boat, water is drawn from the lake or river you are in and pumped into a livewell of your boat, most have an overflow opening so when the water reaches a certain level it will exit the boat thru the opening.

Keep the screens clean and you will have years of hassle free use of your pumps

Doc

8. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I have a transom pump (not working) system so I will look for the company that you suggested and ask about the timer system too. My home made live well has a bar with holes that goes the length of the well. I have heard that a circular current helps keep shad alive, so I may try to put in a stone or something that pumps up one edge to creat a current. Also, I have read of guys putting in a tank of O2 to suppliment the oxygen for shad/skipjack. Hannibal Mike

9. Snobal

Snobal New Member

State:
    Canton, OH