live well pump/ flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by trctrdr, Aug 27, 2009.

1. trctrdr

trctrdr New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Last night I was using my livewell to hold bait and wondering how the noise of the pump would affect the flathead bite. Since I hadn't had a run all evening I thought it might be scaring them off. But just before midnight I did have one explosive run, my brother grabbed the pole and got the fish on, which felt like a good one, but as often happens it got into some wood and in the end , broke off. Any thoughts?

2. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Mark, it will not impact you.

The last few I boated I had two pumps going.

One of the pumps was a cheap pump, and loud.

It was of the,"So Loud" variety it is the kind you shut-off because you cant take the noise anymore.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009

3. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I do know that I read many people talking about making noise, and how it can affect the bite. Unfortunately, when fishing the Ohio River, I can't seem to make those barges stop coming around, or at least be silent when they go by. :) I really don't think the fish pay too much attention to things that go bump in the night. If they're hungry, and you have their favorite treat...they're gonna bite, no matter what.

4. Iablue

Iablue New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Thanks guys. I was wondering the same thing, as I have two pumps going on at various times. Now I know!

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Won,t bother em in no big river.I,ve got some nice flatties with a 20 barge tow passing by at the time.I actually like a little boat traffic to keep em moving around.:wink:

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Off topic a little but I was wondering with the pump being so loud have you noticed it stressing out your bait at all ?

7. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i personally think they get used to their surroundings. if im fishin a place thats mostly quiet all the time i'll try to be quiet but if there is always noise then i dont worry bout noise. i been pullin em out of a logjam at a purdy good rate and i fish on the jam so my walkin and jumpin around would be makin noise and vibrations but this jam is right by where the water treatment plant pulls their water so its got some noise.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i think it depends on the river type. in my shallow rocky rivers quiet is a must, bank or boat.

9. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    On larger rivers it doesn't matter. I saw a show on TV once of some guys fishing from a pontoon on Santee Cooper that kept a 5 hp outboard running on the boat. Said it improved the catch rate but never tried to explain why. One of those unexplainable things I guess.

10. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I dated a lady like that once. :smile2:

Back to the important topic, in my experience the pumps will have no negative affect.

11. chad69dart

chad69dart New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I keep my bait in the live well and the pump on a timer with no problems.

Im with Pat on the tug traffic. Sometime i Just sit a wait for a push to go by so that it will stir the bite. Funny but when a push come by I have come to expect a bite with in 15 min. Its so consistent that i have won a few bucks from my buddies betting on it.