live well problems

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by Steven Armstrong, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    we have an 96 model lowes roughneck model 19 ft. with center console the live well is in front of center console. the problem= the inlet and over flow both feed out through the bottom of boat , the pump on the inflow prevents water from flowing into the live well until the pump is turned on, on the over flow it runs strait from the upper part of the live well to the bottom of the boat. when the boat moves it fills the live well up through the over flow, also the fellow who owned the boat before us welded up the drain hole in the bottom of the live well so there is no drain and if the plug isn`t in the over flow we end up with a full live well. my question is , will any live well pump fit in place of the other pump that dosen`t work now,and how to prevent unwanted water from coming into live well through the over flow, also once we get the live working how to drain it? any ideas?

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    That was a mouth full steven:smile2: welcome to the HOOD! I'll have to "think" about that one:eek:oooh::tounge_out: A guy needs a drain in the thing for sure. You can gett replacement aerators from academy, Big wal-marts, or the boat dealers..that is not a problem, a welded shut drain is!!!:smile2: You could mount a bilge pump in the tank and run the hose out the over-flow and pump it dry, if your live-well has an overflow hole on each side of the tank, if not then ya might have to do some fabrication to install a drain plug back in it. Why would someone weld it shut to begin with??:smile2:

3. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    big sam, you know in the plumbing buss. these folks use back flow preventers on water and sewer lines. i wonder if there is a back flow valve small enough to work on this over flow? it would let water flow from the live well but wouldn`t let water pump from the bottom of the boat

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    You could try to find a small check-valve for the over flow line, or if all the previous owner did was weld a plate over the old drain hole, just drill it back out. If he got real crazy with it you may have to take it in and have a fab shop weld you in a new drain fitting. Good luck!

Branden

5. Steven Armstrong

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    i`m thinking a check valve would work if i can find one that small, and maybe beside the overflow takeing a knock out and punching a hole beside the overflow and installing a small sump pump and plumb it into a T above the check valve. install a switch on the console to empty the live well.

6. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Being in the plumbing supply buissnis ,you can get a brass .5 check valve for 5 dollars ,but never seen a pvc one that small come though our store ,let me check on that monday and i will get back to you

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I was just a Lowe's and they have 3/4 inch PVC check valves, forget what the cost but it was a little bit of nothing. You may have put a reducer in on either side of it, but I wouldn't think the whole deal would run you more than $10.