Live well help please!!!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by wannafish, Sep 21, 2007.

1. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just got a 1975 Stryker boat that is like new and the live well is not like any I have seen ...It has a in line thru the pump that feeds the spray bar then in the upper part also there is a hose for high water to flow out of ...here is what I am confused about...in the very bottom of the back side is another hole that has a hose running to the transom next to boat plug , this is used for drainage when out of water I know ..but I can't find a plug that will fit inside it.It is smaller than big plug and larger than a live well plug .I don't want to sink the boat tomorrow.Sounds stupid but am new to the bigger boats

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

LOL, you shouldn't sink your boat. As long as that outlet hole is above the waterline you will not take on water.

Not sure about the holes location, mine is on the bottom of the livewell and it takes a 3/4" CPVC pipe cut to length to keep the water level at the right heighth. High water will run into pipe and then out of transom.

Yours may be different.

If all else fails make sure your bilge pump works.:eek:oooh::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

Good Luck

3. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    the overflow line is above water line , the intake is of course below water line ...the drain is below water line .......

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Guess I'll ask again just to clarify. Is the drain line on the bottom of the livewell and are you sure you aren't just needing a piece of pvc pipe in there of the right length?

5. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    it is in the back side wall of live well about 2" above the bottom , the over flow out let is on sidewall about 6" from the top ...maybe it would also help to tell you that this is a live well that is 3/4 above the floor line ...only about 8" is below floor level. what I was thinking is no plug is needed as it will only flow until the well is even with outside river level.

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Ok, you beat me to it. Just went out and took a pic in the dark. Aren't I a nice guy.

I understand that yours is on the sidewall so maybe it needs a plug. Maybe the pipe just needs a 90 degree fitting in it.

This is the only livewell I've evr had so can't really help.

Maybe the pic will give you some ideas.

Attached Files:

7. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    thank you for pic ...I just went out also and the whole livewell sits above the floor ...looked different when in the boat.so bottom of livewell is about even with where the boat sits in the water.so it shouldn't let any water in the livewell?

8. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    here is a link to a boat hull identical to mine....if you look at pic that shows hull to right of engine you will see a little...very little white thru hull hole that is the drain , the silver thru hull a little higher and to the right is the intake to pump.The livewell is between the 2 back seats above the floor..hope it helps as my cam isn't working thanks

http://www.usedboats.com/index.php?...photo_index=7&maximize=9811822&historyback=12

9. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I think you'll be fine.

I'm still thinking you need some kind of standpipe. Someone will surely save us here eventually.:tounge_out:

All I have to go on is my personal boat.

10. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    I think mine is like yours , the only time it drains is when I srive with big motor. I think it sipons it out then. Mine has a plug you can use but if live well is full of water it make the boat lean that way pretty good.About the only time i plug it is to transport fish home or giong a pretty good ways with motor. lol

11. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I will find out today lol , mine is center so should be ok full , I tried a 3/4 piece of pipe and don't work , gonna find me a rubber cork or grind down a hull drain plug to fit

12. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    with no plug inside it will fill about 4" in the bottom of well and will siphon out when using big motor ..will have to make a plug for it as every one I bought won't fit???but also found lower end taking water in:sad2: so am discouraged , am lost there will have to go to outboard threads for help ...thanks everyone for the help and maybe this thread will help a non boat savvy person like me.....