Live well almost sunk my boat

Discussion in 'Boating Stories' started by powercat, Apr 25, 2007.

1. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    This may help someone. I have trouble keeping shad alive like everyone else and I thought I had the easy answer. My boat has a 40 gallon live well and why not use it as a bait well at night. I plugged the battery charger in and raised the boat up on the lift high enough to hold it and let the pump circulate. This worked great the first night and all the shad were alive the next morning. The second night one shad died, floated to the top and covered the overflow, the pump continued to pump and fill the boat with water. I found it completely flooded but the motor was dry since it was on the lift. It took and hour of pumping and dipping water to remove all of it. The boat and motor were not damaged but I will use plan B to keep my shad alive.:big_smile:

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Off course plan B would be to fill the boat with water and keep the live well dry so you could stand in it.:big_smile: :lol: :roll_eyes: Actually you aren't the first that has had this problem (Imagine that).I have had bass actually get their tail sucked up against the outlet and the livewell over flow.What you need is one of those outlet covers that looks like a giant thimble with a bazillion holes punched in it.Most of the really good baitwells have them.That way a shad could get caught against it but wouldn't jam the entire outlet.:smile2:

3. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    before I trailered my boat this weekend I put electrical tape on the outlet cover to the livewell so I could retain all the water in it during the trip to keep the bait more lively. Once I started getting bait in the water and started fishing I turned the aerator on and my fishing parter said what is all that water, I was like oh crap. Only about 10 gallons went into the boat and lucky we were in it. sometimes I have the boat parked at the ramp with the aerators running. It wouldn't have sunk it but it was sure a wake up call to double check everything before you use it.

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Just so you don't feel too bad - I'm another one. We (actually my boss did) sunk a boat tied up to the dock the same way. Left the flow-through livewell running overnight and one of the baits died and blocked the outflow. The baitwell overflowed and the water eventually sank the boat.

5. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I haven't sunk my boat yet but got my feet wet a couple of times. I stopped letting my aerator run all of the time!:embarassed:

6. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    just finished fixing my friends boat. live well pump broke. it was one that mounted through the transom and made of plastic. broke off in the night and flooded the boat. then the sump pump give up that morning. what a mess. new carpet, seats and both pumps.

7. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Well I know wat my next project on my boat will be now, adding an overflow screen in my livewells. Thanks for the warning. My luck I would sink my boat for sure.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Me too. We can all relate to this. Lesson learned.:lol: :big_smile:

9. emptyhook

emptyhook New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Oh, you mean that 120 quart igloo, in the middle of my little 15`ft v-hull.?
    half full of water w/my bubble box. aggrivating but effective.:big_smile:

10. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The bubble box drove me crazy (I had a head start:lol: ) so I bought a 400 watt inverter and plugged in a aquarium air pump. You could get a smaller one if you only want to run a pump. Fishing by myself most of the time I like listening to a radio so I also plug a boom box so I can listen to country as well as weather warnings. The cost was a lot less than a boat stereo and a lot more flexible.

Wooly

11. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I have a story like yours, well, not really but sort of. I dont have a live well in my boat, I use a portable one. I always have bait left over and they end up dieing cause of the batteries in the aerator run down. So I told my wife that I was going to put her a goldfish pond in the flowerbed. Little did she know, In my head "goldfish pond" meant "bait keeper". one night I didn't feel like cleaning the fish I caught so I just threw them in the goldfish pond. the next morning I came out to start filleting and saw that one of the channel cats had knocked over the water fountain in the center of the pond and all of the water drained out!

12. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I just bought a 12V version of the mr bubbles. its pretty heavy duty and it comes with about 8' of cord and two check valves, 2 airstones and tons of tubing. I use it when the boat is out of the water while trailering and to keep bait alive in the livewell at home. It was like $44 but if you think about it thats not too bad considering the d cell version is over $20 and has a very small stone and you have to keep buying expensive batteries.

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jay if you go to their website you will see they have round flat bubblers that work much better than the stones.I put velcro on mine to hold them in place in the live well.When I was in Louisianna I found some 4" versions that I can t wait to try.:smile2:

14. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Yeah, I also have a 4" stone. I haven't really used it but I'm sure it works good. Let me know if you want to ride to kinston on saturday for river scouting and maybe some fishing.

15. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    :big_smile:

No worrys. Wouldn't know whatto do wit ha boat that didn't leak a little somewere

16. PolishNorbi

PolishNorbi New Member

State:
    Arizona
    These live wells remind me the first weekend I had my boat and the owner didn't tell me the bellows were shot. We left it in the water and by 9am I had taken on approx 2' of water. Thank god, I had good neighbors at that marina who reported it and they used 3 sump pumps to start getting rid of the water.

17. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    The night before the Cooks catfish tourny last year I tied my boat across the back of my dads houseboat to avoid the rush at the ramp the next morning. In the middle of the night it stormed. Normally not a big deal, but my boat was sitting right under the edge of the dock roof. All the water from the roof was channeled right into my boat. Luckily I heard the rain and went over to check on my boat at 2:00 am and found it sitting with the transom about 2 inches above the water!!! Thank goodness for bildge pumps!! Not a livewell problem, but I still learned a good lesson on that one!!!

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Thats why the recomended over flow size for a livewell should be 3 sizes larger then the infill.
    3/4" pipe dumping water in the tank, there should be 1-1/2" overflow.