Live traps

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by River_monster91, Dec 17, 2007.

1. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    any one know any ideas of how to build a live trap for coon sized critters, or would it be cheaper to buy em brand new? i know quite a few kids have made live traps in shop class for bobcats. not for shure how they planned on getting em to work though. so far none of em have got em finished. idd like to find a way to make em realitivly cheap if possible. any help would be appreciated. thanks

2. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i made one that i tried to use, i uesd it once or 2ce b4 it got washed downstream in a storm, but i basically used 2x4's made a box and nailed the chicken wire on ,im at school right now, but ill explain more when i get home

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    kevin, what the heck are ya doin on the computer at school??? :smile2::smile2::smile2:

4. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    lmao im at school to...comp at home is down

5. Got1hooked

Got1hooked New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hilltop cage shop builds the absolute best cage trap on the market in my book. I know some guy's that have thier trap and have had them for over 20 years and still going strong.

Thier easy to build if you want to build your own , the trigger system is the hardest part to figure out. If your only going to build one to try go for it , but if your planning on building a few of them I'd buy them. I wouldn't recommend using chicken wire though as a coon will go thru it pretty easy 1" x 2" welded wire is the way to go.

If you plan on buying some call Hilltop (573)754-5962 tell them Troy (Got1Hooked) said to call them. Brian and Rosa are really good people to deal with. They are good outdoors people they eat , sleep and breath Hunting , Fishing and Trapping.

6. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    what state are they out of?

7. Got1hooked

Got1hooked New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They are from here in Missouri , but they ship and sell nationwide. I have and use cages from several diff. mfg's and I'm not just saying it because they are from here. They are just hands down in my opinion the best cage trap on the market from my experiance with cages. I not only Fur trap I also do some ADC work with cages.

8. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Right on about the chicken wire, a house cat can get thru that in time. For a trigger, ya can use a piece of wood or a stick about 1/2 to 1 inch in diameter, put it where they are fully inside before they have to knock it out the way. Then the door slams shut. pretty simple, stick in the path, with a fish line or string on it to a bent nail hook holding a bent nail on the door. If I could figure out how to draw a picture on a computer, I'd make a drawing. The door is on hinges, and falls down, another stick just falls down and locks the door shut. I made one in an afternoon, had a cat that nite. but chicken wire won't hold em, they stick a paw through it, and work it till it comes apart, then work it some more till they get out. a coon is much stronger, won't take em long.

9. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I've made a couple. Used a wooden box with a door that was tripped shut when the coon stepped on a tredle. Had a cross arm brace from a telephone pole that would slip down and lock the door shut.
    Although they were effective they were too cumbersom.
    best of luck
    just

10. Drjets

Drjets New Member

State:
    ND
    Hate have 'in to go through all this just to get the postings!

11. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Donald! Thanks from me and my family to you and yours for your service and sacrifice.

12. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
  13. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    you can get plans for them on the internet. the trigger should be welded along with the frame ( so the coon dont break through ).

14. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I've been building an enormous live trap, to catch bobcats primarily. It also has to be large enough to serve double-duty in catching big dogs, so I made it way bigger than I thought it needed to be for cats. I should be done with it tonight or tomorrow, and I'll post pictures.

15. dledinger

dledinger New Member

State:
    NC
    I checked into materials for traps a while ago. You'd have to build quite a few to really start saving money. Unless you're building rabbit boxes or something small like that.

16. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Hey Jerrod you ever get the trap finished? I'd love to see the pics.

17. beetlespin91

beetlespin91 New Member

State:
    florida
  18. wildlife

wildlife New Member

State:
    SW PA
    The best trap on the market is made by SafeGuard Products. I have used Havahart and Tomahawk brand traps and found the SafeGuard traps to be the best available. In the 12+ years I have been a Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator (NWCO) I have never had a SafeGuard trap damaged or destroyed by an animal. I can not say the same for the other two brands.

SafeGuard is the only brand of trap I trust to make me money.

Check them out and see if there is a dealer near you.

www.safeguardproducts.com

19. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

why live traps? in kansas u dont need them for trapping seasons

20. williambevels

williambevels New Member

State:
    alabama
    if you plan on trapping cats cover the trap(both sides) with debre,including the back.make sure you cover the bottom with dirt,most cats don't like to walk on wire.for the record cats don't like to back out of any thing, cats can be forced heavy with out spooking the feline.now on cubbies,buckets and cage traps use a lure that has catnip in it or a stroung musky lure and place it at the back.in cage traps hang a flag in side.

note
    on my sets using catnip at flat sets,or dirt holes it will make a canine roll and if to much is used it will attract deer