live traps for house cats

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by plainsman, Oct 27, 2007.

1. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I haven't done much trapping for 35 years, seems making a real living and traveling the world has taken me away from what I enjoy, but now I have problems with semi wild house cats which use the flower garden as their litter box, makes it hard to open windows or the door for ventilation. My wife likes california, the last I heard steel traps had to have a pad on the jaws, and may even be outlawed, I can't use anything like that or even a snare, which might injure them, so I got a box trap, but I'm getting possums and other stuff in it. I need to know how to get cats in it, with out bait which attracts other animals. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks.

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    a daisy redrider works better than that trap. I just stings them a little and will not break the skin. Once you do this they will not come back. Another option is a short "hotwire" electric fence. once shock and they will NEVER return to that area.

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i used the hotwire trick in southern ca. had same problem. only it was possums and skunks. so i took layer of chicken wire and laid down on flower bed. then ext cord with female end cut off. at night, would dampen flower bed, run cord out window, hook one wire to chicken wire, and other to small metal rod stuck in ground. plug in and go to bed. no more cats, or other animals. wife made me stop after 4th night of doing cause darn skunked walked onto bed. pheww!!!
    gary

4. plainsman

State:
    minnesota
    thanks guys, I got an electric fencer for when i had dogs, that kept the dogs in, and kept the cats out the yard, but I gotta be real careful about "cruelty to animals here in south calif, cause I got some steel traps that would work pretty good, I still got a No. 3 that i'm sure would about cut their legs off, but the humane society says all i can use is the live trap. I'm hopin after a few times goin to get the things the owners will give up or keep em home. I got a pellet gun, but can't legally shoot it here in town. some kids shot one few years ago, and it took a few months for it to get bad enough to haul to the vet. remember this is south calif, and what the people's mentality is. I tried a trick which might work, and keep the coyotes and dogs out, I put a mirror tile in back, with a bobber hangin by mono, hopefully it will arouse their curiosity and i won't get accused of baitin them, thanks

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've had great success using sardines in live traps for house cats but if coons are around it will also get them.

6. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I too have caught house cats with sardines.....

I would not use the 120 volt hotwire trick.....you could end up in jail and in a law suit. The electric fence chargers work well but cats are smart and if you take it down they will be right back.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you have an old car, take and raise the trunk lid and put some cat food inside. Wait for the cats to jump inside to eat. Close the lid and haul the cats away. A lot of farmers would love to have them. Give this a little time it will work.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    dump some chicken livers at a place within smelling distance but not on your property. Remember that animals can smell great distances.

9. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I have a great solution for you... Go to a major home improvment store like lowe's look in the gardening section for a moition activated sprinkler some look like bird's or plant's ...All you do is set them where you want ...hook up a gardening hose and adjust the sprinkler from left to right to cover the area you want and as soon as some critter comes with in about 5 foot of it they will get a nice soaking lol it also work's great on those inlaw's you dont want around :eek:oooh: The last time i checked they where under about 15 dollar's and that's way cheaper that a fine from the law after you get got shooting mister kitty :smile2:

10. plainsman

State:
    minnesota
    this is by the front door, the motion detector would also work on salesmen, and visitors. 110 volts would end the problem, but a human could screw up, probably less trouble than an animal tho, remember this is south calif. my pellet gun don't hold enough air to do much to em, and they are lookin for dirt, i can't bury both ends of the electric fencer in the ground, mackrel and anchovies work good on possums, better than cats it seems. I know sprinkling hot pepper powder works, but only for a while, and needs to be replenished I'd like to hook up a 480 volt welder, or use a 12 guage bb gun, but not an option, too loud. I remember a story in the minnesota conservation volunteer with a pie plate, and fishing line, and a comb used to get hair samples from bobcat and lynx in north mn, but I didn't keep the magazine. maybe the mirror or a feather will draw them into the trap, I'd like to use the 12 gage or 110 volt trick on the owners, but maybe pickin the animals up at the humane society will urge them to get their own cat litter. i got a small fan i can put out there to cause movement in the bobber hangin in the trap, hope it works. I'm headin to MN in a week. should be there now, but the fires delayed my trip a bit. thanks for the help tho

11. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    maybe i did not type the last one right you can put it anywhere ........all you do is have to adjust it it will keep the kittys and all critter's out .. you can set the spray from the head any where you want it just like a any adjustabe sprinkler!!!!!!!

12. yotepeeler

yotepeeler New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Beaver castor is a good attractant for felines of all sizes . They like to rub on it . It is also attractive to coon and possum . Use the jumping advatage they posses to your advantage . Place the cage with the castor base lure where they have to jump to get to it . Possum, skunks and coon can't jump like a cat . Coon are a heck of a climber though .

Be careful about what you do with them as I have gotten a talking to from USDA over relocation of feral cats . They MUST be taken to an approved shelter .

Pete Billings

13. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i didnt read every post in the thread so it might have been suggested, but i would make a platform 3 - 3 1/2 feet up in the air with a little leadge in front of the trap to avoid catching possums, not sure about the coons tho since the can climb like crazy.

14. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I got rid of 8 in those box traps without getting any other type of animals in the traps. I placed the trap right where the cats would come up to at night and baited it with about 1/2 slice of cheese broke up into small bits. It worked ever time within a few hours of setting the traps,I got two cats at one time in one of the traps.

15. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Oh by the way I live in the country and I have all types of wild animals that come around. But never got any of them in the traps while using cheese to bait the traps for cats.

16. plainsman

State:
    minnesota
    I think I'll try the cheese bait, and put the trap on a platform on a couple saw horses, animal control says I can't hurt them, and I can't shoot in town, but they usually come when I'm not around. Wonder why. Had one in the garage last year, he would hide and not come out, finally ripped out a ventilation screen. I know hot pepper will keep em off the dirt, but needs to be replaced too often. I've gotten a few in the past, but they can wreck chicken wire if in there too long, and i'm tired of releasin possums. thanks , I'll let ya know how it turns out.

17. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    wallyworld had dog and cat repellent in the pet section, don't know if it's for inside or outside. sprinkle a good dose of black pepper where they have their toilet and it's supposed to discourage them. never tried it myself though. hey next possum you catch just tie him down by the back leg wherever the cats are coming in and he ought to whip the pants off anything coming in, salesmen included! :smile2:

18. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    pour some clorox around where you dont want them. thatll keepem away:cool2:

19. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK

ain't against the law in any state for an animal to be cruel to another animal. i have a dog you can borrow 'til you find one of your own like her...i promise, the cat problem will go away VERY soon!:wink:

(dang...was that another negative post?:embarassed:)

20. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Around my place, the garden is an "approved" feral cat shelter. :wink:

:004: