Live skipjack

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catman529, Oct 19, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I read that it is impossible to keep skipjack alive. I was just curious to know whether anyone has kept one alive after catching it. I have never caught skipjack but I am planning on trying soon.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Don't know much about SkipJack but I do know it is almost imposible to keep shad alive for any length of time. Good luck on your fishing for Skipjack.Let us know how you do.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Skipjack are impossible. Shad are 100 times easier than skipjack, they die in a matter of minutes. I have had one little skipjack in my bait tank (45 gallons) by himself and it lived about 3-4 minutes. I have got them to live for 20-25 minutes by keeping the water extremely cold, but it's not worth it. I simply throw mine in an empty bucket now, i don't even attept it.

I don't know, but i doubt a live skipjack would be much better. those things are so fast and powerful i bet catfish rarely eat live skipjack, i just bet they can't catch them. I bet they all eat dead ones or ones injured by fish like stripers. So dead works fine, great actually!

4. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    They are one fast fish:tounge_out: I don't know of any way to keep them alive..I have also put just 1 in the live well and aerator and it lasted about 20 minutes:crazy:

5. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    oh they are a blast to catch, especially when you get a couple nice ones on at once, it's sometimes as much fun or more fun than actually catfishing them

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i kept 2 dozen alive back in early summer for 3 hours , i have round 25 gallon tank thats only 18" tall what i did was put my bilge pump over in it with fresh water then added the skippies the pump made the water spin real fast inside the tank like a man made current the fish were actually swimming in place nose into the current flow .

7. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    they are a blast to catch.but the best way I can keep them is to Vacum-pack and then freeze them.
    But to keep them alive its almost impossible for any length of time.