Live skipjack

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catman529, Oct 19, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I read that it is impossible to keep skipjack alive. I was just curious to know whether anyone has kept one alive after catching it. I have never caught skipjack but I am planning on trying soon.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Don't know much about SkipJack but I do know it is almost imposible to keep shad alive for any length of time. Good luck on your fishing for Skipjack.Let us know how you do.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Skipjack are impossible. Shad are 100 times easier than skipjack, they die in a matter of minutes. I have had one little skipjack in my bait tank (45 gallons) by himself and it lived about 3-4 minutes. I have got them to live for 20-25 minutes by keeping the water extremely cold, but it's not worth it. I simply throw mine in an empty bucket now, i don't even attept it.

I don't know, but i doubt a live skipjack would be much better. those things are so fast and powerful i bet catfish rarely eat live skipjack, i just bet they can't catch them. I bet they all eat dead ones or ones injured by fish like stripers. So dead works fine, great actually!

4. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    They are one fast fish:tounge_out: I don't know of any way to keep them alive..I have also put just 1 in the live well and aerator and it lasted about 20 minutes:crazy:

5. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    oh they are a blast to catch, especially when you get a couple nice ones on at once, it's sometimes as much fun or more fun than actually catfishing them

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i kept 2 dozen alive back in early summer for 3 hours , i have round 25 gallon tank thats only 18" tall what i did was put my bilge pump over in it with fresh water then added the skippies the pump made the water spin real fast inside the tank like a man made current the fish were actually swimming in place nose into the current flow .

7. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    they are a blast to catch.but the best way I can keep them is to Vacum-pack and then freeze them.
    But to keep them alive its almost impossible for any length of time.