Live or Cut For Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by puddle jumper, May 26, 2009.

Live Bait Or Cut Bait for Flatheads

1. Live Bait

2. Cut Bait

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    The blue gills are killing the flathead bait poll so I wanted to break it out one more, I think I know the answer but wanted to ask anyway...:wink:
    What do you prefer???
    Thanks
    Puddle

Sorry, I wanted to make the first one a poll..:eek:oooh:

2. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Live for flats cut for channels:wink:

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Im not sure that I answered this in complete truth...I say that live bait is preferred but so far this year, most of my fish have come off cut bait.

4. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I kind of figured live but I know a lot of fish are caught on cut also:roll_eyes: so im interested to see how this one works out...
    Puddle

5. Double L

Double L New Member

State:
    Mo
    I seem to only catch flats on live , what kind of cut works for you guys?

6. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    My 2 best flats both went 28 lb each. One was caught on a 4" Live Bluegill and one caught on a Bluegill head.

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    get the infishermen mag now, it tells cutbait, can be as good or better in the day, while fishing structer

8. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    I only fish with live bait . Catch everything on live bait Flatheads , Blues , Chanels . Live bait . I might try some cut bait this summer . I just fill better knowing I got live bait on my hooks .

9. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I've done well on cutbait. Especially this year. However I know I can get good flats on Live. I fish both always. Last year I always got my first fish on a bluegill head and the largest on a live. This year though Heads are outfishing live by far. I think anytime a flat is not really in the mood to eat .... they'll pick up a head for a snack if their in the area. No energy involved and a big long scent trail.

DoubleL I cut the head of at an angle so that it leaves the gut pocket hanging off the back of the head. They love it.

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,d have to say I go with live 95% of the time.I might catch more on cut if I used it more.I just have more confidence in live,that helps me mentally. I can use ALL the mental help I can get.lol:crazy::eek:oooh:

11. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I always vary my baits. Two rods with cut and two with live...I got a good hit on live the other night. In fact that fish had gotten itself stuck on the hook. The rod kept jerking but really softly...I thought that it was that live bait pulling....when I finally decided to reel it in to check the bait it turned out to be a fish on:roll_eyes::big_smile:...all of my other fish came of cut bait that night.

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I wish we weren,t limited to two rods here in PA.:sad2:

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I never, ever use live bait for flatheads, if I do have live bait I make sure I cut it up before casting out.

Cut bait has outfished live bait for me for years..Especially fresh cut shad

14. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    Just what Jack said. Fresh cut shad seems to be the ticket if there are fish around. It is as fresh as it comes and they bleed more if the are alive when you cut them. But I always have one pole with a live bluegill no matter what and if I have live shad I have a pole rigged up with one. The rest are going to be rigged up with cut shad.

15. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    by far its live bream, u can catch them on cut bait but not often, i have caught a 30lb on bream head but was fishing the current for blues, so my opion its live bream and out of the current!!!

16. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I can't keep shad alive, so when I have shad they are cut. In the waters I fish, when I use cut bait the channels seem to get there first, with large live bluegills I don't attract as many channels.

17. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Live bullheads. I have never caught a flathead on cut bait. I know a lot of people catch them on cut bait, but it doesn't work for me. I catch a lot of blues and channels on cut bait.

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I prefer live gills over anything for flattie bait. Once they die I'll cut them up and use them for bait along with live. I've caught several flatties on gill heads and pieces of cut gill body.

19. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Most of the time live is best.So far this year cut has been the go to bait for flats for me.:big_smile:

20. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I use both, live and cut, but, probably mostly live..
    Gills, goldfish, and tilapia, have worked well.