Live Or Cut Bait For Blue Catfish?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by river_rat_42, Sep 9, 2006.

1. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was just wonderin' if you guys prefer live or cut bait for blues and what baitfish do you like to use as live or cut. It might not even matter bein' that blues are scavenger fish they prolly do just as good on both live and cut. But' I was jus' wondering, since flatties prefer live bait if blues liked one or the other also???? thanks

2. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I think any larger cat , no matter what species will take a live bait , bigger cats have more of an ability to engulf larger pray . It is my understanding that Blues prefer fresher food as apposed to a more sour kind. I believe ,like us as we get older and more established , bigger cats can be more selective than smaller one's , closer to the top of the food chain if you will .

3. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I typically do better with cut shad than I do live - but it is fresh, and that makes a big difference.

4. frymire

frymire New Member

State:
    texas
    cutbait is the best for blues, shad and fresh.. cut bait for blues is even better in the colder months.. also make the cut bait small not big, u will catch more and bigger...

5. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I prefer to put both live and cut bait out to start with and see which one the fish prefer. Last Saturday they wanted cut bait but most days I do better with live bait. I like to use shad.

6. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    I have found up here ion the New York area that smaller cut bait gets the blues. Although I have caught them on large cut bait as well. I just size my hook to the size of the cut up bait i'm using. I have also done good on chicken liver prepared bait as found in Dicks Sporting goods store. My largest cat her was an 8 lb'er on this very bait. I have fished with a group who uses cut up suckers with great results.

Tight lines to all.

7. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    yes I have particular luck with cut shad in winter - in honesty I use use a chunk of fresh chicken breast in spring/summer, seems to get the blues better that time of year *shrug*

8. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    fresh cut shad works good for me.

9. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have good luck with both but it must be fresh.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have my best luck with blues using cut herring, about 6 inch's long before I cut the tail off to make it about 4 inch's long. While I have caught blue's on live bait (herring, bream, shad) I have my best luck with cut.

11. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    from what I have heard either will work as long as its fresh

12. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i usually use whole dead 4-6 inch shad cut harring or cut bluegill

13. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    at my friends condo in LOZ we set out lines and they always wanted live goldfish or bluegill
    lots of time only 1/2-3/4 of the way down
    but that would be a little harded with a r&r especialy in a river

14. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I Use Both For The Blues,but Only The Freshes Bait I Can Get

15. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Im liking cut bait right now. I usually use live bluegille and if its not working try the head and so forth. but like everyone else has said, for quality and quantity FRESH is best. good luck:cool2:

16. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I usually fish with several rods out , usually three or four but up to as many as seven at times. I put live shad on some and cut shad and/or cut carp on some. It varies from night to night but for shear numbers I'd say that cut bait outfishes the live bait for blues. But for big ones it seems to be a toss up. But like the others are saying, freshness is everything.

17. 4Low

4Low New Member

State:
    Lonoke, AR
    I've always used cut bait (shad & skipjack) but my 9 year old son has me wondering the same thing. Seems he likes to dissect the stomachs to see what they have in them and the last 3 (what I call big fish, 15-32 pounds) all had one 6 inch or larger fish in them. I'm going to do what a previous post stated...try one of each and see what happens.