Live Net

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by kyredneck, Aug 4, 2008.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    This has been one of my better investments over the years when it comes to ‘alternative fishing methods’; a treated nylon live net that I purchased from The Fish Company LLC, Louisiana:

http://fishnetco.com/live.htm

I use the 3’ dia, 1” mesh net.

This ‘holding basket’ is not suitable for a lot you folks that don’t have the convenience of keeping your boat at a dock for long periods like I do (because I hang it from the dock), and, this is nothing new to some other of you all that have a commercial fishing background; but it serves my purpose well. I can hold the fish and keep them in good condition until I’m ready for a mass fish cleaning; usually when there’s others available to pitch in and help (because they eat them too).

Pic 1: I’m pullin it from the water (probably to add fish or check on them)

Pic 2: a mess of catfish I’m getting ready to clean

Pic 3: It collapses and stores away nicely on the wall when not in use.

Attached Files:

2. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    That`s a mighty nice looking gitup there, Red. That Fish Net Co is the one I get some stuff from, too.

Hope you don`t have any critters get at your fish, that`s the only thing. :confused2:

3. Cdbush28

Cdbush28 New Member

State:
    Washington
    I wonder how it well it wouild keep bait fish alive in the river current?

4. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    C B, if you'll notice in my last pic the METAL basket that's in front of the net; that's my bait basket. It's a stainless steel commercial deep fryer basket that I picked up some where and I put a rat wire top & lid on it. In the river current I've found that the strength of the metal basket is needed to keep the walls from collapsing in on the baitfish and smothering them. There's simply not enough weight or mass to the baitfish to prevent that from happening with a net basket, IME. The big fish do just fine in the net basket. I've kept them for as long as 10-11 days before cleaning them, and they do just fine. Buffalo suckers are another matter; they're not so hardy as catfish and can't stay in the basket as long.

5. Cdbush28

Cdbush28 New Member

State:
    Washington
    I would like to find something to keep 40-50 blue gill alive for a good period of time.

6. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Thanks for sharing and the especially the photos. Very helpful. Reps to ya.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Those are some nice Cats.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've probably had that many in my basket before.

9. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida

A lot of the charter guys use a plastic drum with lots of holes drilled in it for storing bait. You can cut a hatch opening in the top and even put a hasp with a lock on it, if needed. You may be able to use a smaller drum, say 25 gallons, so it can be lifted more readily. The 50 gallon size would be real hard to steal.....

10. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hello Dan; if you mean human critters so far so good. The ones that know where I keep my basket at the dock will actually sometimes put fish in it when they don't want them. Some jokester put a couple of those $37.50 largemouths in there earlier this year though. That would be difficult to splain to the game warden....

I might as well show off some more pics of my net:

pic 4: My Romanian (now a U.S. citizen) son-in-law and I devoted an entire weekend last year targeting buffalo suckers w/ doughbait on trotline; he's holding the basket for a pic to send home to his family that he doesn't get to see much of these days.

pic 5: Pic from last or this spring; fish caught from the dock on yo-yos.

pic 6: Limblining this spring

Attached Files:

11. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    This is a live bait net I bought a few years ago that I found to be absolutely useless in the river current. The baitfish die.

Attached Files: