Live Eels For Catfish???

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by BobEver, Aug 22, 2007.

1. BobEver

BobEver New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Have never eeled for cats before but want to give it a try. Will be fishing the DE River near the Barry Bridge.Can anyone give me any suggestions such as (1) amount of weight to use (2) circle hooks ok? (3) Fish in free-spool with clicker? (4) how long to let fish run? Etc.

Thanks
    Bob

2. philly'swife

philly'swife New Member

State:
    Phila. Pennsylvania
    Where do you catch or buy eels around here? We live close to the Philly airport. I've never caught one.

3. BobEver

BobEver New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    You can sometimes catch eels in the DE River or its tributaries. Jim Taylor is still selling Bait and Tackle out of his house you can reach him at this # 215 519-0000 he lives right around the corner from where his shop was in Essington. He sells eels. Call ahead.

4. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    If you really want to catch some eels try John Hienz on the Darby Creek side. Especially in the spring. I caught some big ones in there. Not on purpose though:embarassed:. I was fishing for carp with night crawlers.You can't eat 'em from there and I never thought you could use them for bait, these eels were big, not like the smaller ones used for stripers. Never knew people used them for cats too.

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Are you going stripper or cat fishing. lol Anyways you can catch a ton of them on the Delaware. They seem to be disappearing though (possibly as summer is drawing to an end) as I haven't caught one in a while. I have chopped them up before in 1/4 inch chunks and have had limited success for the cats. But its always worth a try good luck.

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The biggest channel cat I ever seen caught out of the Schuylkill was caught on a dead eel rigged with a circle hook with stingere rig. The thing was around 20lb if not more. I had to take a close look because I thought it was a bluecat. But it was a channel.

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Wow that must of have been a sight Blacky. I have noticed though on the few times i have caught channels with eel chunks they have been of the larger size.