Live Carp?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by quadrunner42029, Jul 6, 2009.

1. quadrunner42029

quadrunner42029 Member

State:
    NC
    I caught a carp about 10 inches long the other day, a small common carp the gold colored ones and i used it for flathead bait live because i thought i had seen somewhere it would make a good bait any thoughts or opinions on this? we normally just use live gills we never can catch any bullheads and i desperately want to try some of them thanks guys, also would it be worth anything to cut up a small carp for blues,channels or possibly even a flatty? our normal baits are gizzard shad cut and alive and bluegills cut and alive. trying to expand our offerings to our whiskered friends.

2. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    I"ve heard it works pretty good... pretty much the same thing as a goldfish I would think; and I've heard of a lot of guys catching REAL monster flatties using carp up to a couple pounds for bait.

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my grandpa swears by 1-2 lb carp..or crappie :wink:

4. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'd definitely say keep trying it, who knows what they'll bite on :wink:

5. wvcatfisherman

wvcatfisherman Active Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Exactly.

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I wish I had a bait tank full of them carp you're talking about. The lake I fish has carp in it but most are 5# or bigger and small ones like you described are hard to come by for bait around here. I figure the flatties in the lake keep them thinned out.

7. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Carp are excellent bait for flatheads! Esspecially ones 1.5 lbs. and under. I have also caught a lot of channels on cut carp. Anything that's lively and stays that way, is good bait for flatheads. I think some people put too much emphasis on what species of fish they're using for bait. I've caught flats on 3 different kinds of bits in the same hole. Gills', green sunfish, drum, carp, bullheads, whatever. The main thing is that it has to stay lively on the hook. GOOD LUCK BUD!:wink:

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I like the smaller carp too,like you said,very hard to find though!They,re illegal to use here in PA,beats the hell out of me why!:sad2:

9. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Back hook and toss em out live and wait for the pole to almost break in the holder. Cut carp fresh also makes good blue and channel bait. I luv usen live carp and buff fish when I get em. As they said no 1 thing is lively bait and good size to keep the lil ones off it. Heck I will even toss 12 live mooneye and suckers and 10 inch live bullheads out. Just remember a monster dont hit every time or fast. I might fish all summer to get a flatt over 50lbs. But its worth the wait of haven one rod out with a big oversized bait. I do the same blue fishen to I put one rod out with a massive chunk of cut bait or a slashed up 10 to 12 inch bait. If its out there its a matter of time.

10. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    One pound carp are my favorite bait. 12/0 Gama. Big River Bait hook. :big_smile:

11. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    our Nebraska state record flathead was caught on carp.....go big or go home right?????

12. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If hotdogs work, why wouldn't carp work? I would try it to see if it works. Ill try anything once, maybe twice and see if it works.

13. Zach

Zach New Member

State:
    ohio
    its my first post but the other night we went fishin in the ohio river. from the bank we caught 10 flatheads through the night. mostly on the small carps. a few goldfish got nailed to but the 3-4 inch carp were getting hammered. i put 2 on one hook and got hit in 30 seconds.