live carp for flatties

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Apache Flats, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I will be trying to catch small carp around a pound or so, do I hook them in the mouth area or back towards the tail. I will be using 10/0 kayles and I never have used carp before only have used panfish for bait.:0a35: Thanks

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    great question and i am the one to answer it
    i love carp for bait hook them behind the dorsal fin if they are lively they have lasted two days on a limb line for me before on good spots i have used 2 lbrs but that is rare that i do it mostly 1 lb carp is the best
    problem with this big a bait ?
    nope i have caught 5lb flatties on them
    10/0 hooks thats what i use
    you will have a blast

3. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Ya I forgot to ask, 8 ounce weight should be ok holding it in place???

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    in eddys i use 4oz with pretty good sucess but even a 5 will hold in current that is not bad by the way i use no roll sinkers on limb lines i use 8oz egg sinkers just drill them out to fit the camo line i use

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i forgot if you start using carp for bait watch your pole tip it will bounce alot look for it to iether start bouncing more or a slow load on your rod tip

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    another way to rig them is to scale some of the side by the tail, then just pierce the skin in and out with the hook. when using an offset hook make sure you hook the bait on the side where the hook point is offset, to keep the point from burying in the bait. carp are superior bait to panfish, but bait sized ones don't seem to be accessible to most of us. my pb flat of 72 pounds came on a 1 lb carp on the sabine river in a 12 foot hole. good luck to you!

7. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    yea listen to gus. him and jack have caught flatheads close to 80lbs before on limblines. he definatly knows what hes talking about. me and him go catch us alot of carp out of a little creek. they all range from 6'' all the way to a lb. i dont ever use em for bait but let me tell you gus swears by em and if he swears by it you better believe its good.

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I always use live carp... I use a 12/0 big river hook behind the dorsal. If the carp is over a lb, I will put on a stinger hook through it's nostrils.

@ BArtlet there are a lot of rocks I fish near so I will put on as much as 8oz of lead to hold them in place.. Or trim up it's tail fins so it can't find a snag so easy.

~A

9. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    if you have a creek with a ditch with low water try a sien thats how i find them sometimes

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P

I have the same problem. I can't seem to catch any carp under 3lbs. 99% of the carp I get in the river are 8lbs and up.

I have caught flatheads on many varieties of baits. But never a carp and would like to make it my goal before the years end.

11. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Small carp are awsome bait.I like them cause they dont poke me.When I have been able to get small carp I get bit.But My biggest flats have been on gillz and tilapia. If I had the choice I would use carp more offten.I would hook them in the forehead if Im fishing current and in the dorsal if fishing slack water.And a stinger hook would be a good idead too.Espesially on the bigger baits.

12. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I wonder if snipping the spikes off of bluegill would improve the catch rate as often Ive gotten hits on gills and then suddenly they let go. Kind of like when Im trying to hold onto one of those slimey little bastards and they knife me. I let go real quick. Maybe thats why carp may have a small advantage?

13. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    The carp at the lake I have been fishing range in size from 10-20lbs. I never caught any carp under 10lbs at this lake in fact I have never seen any small ones there. At the urban lake that I fish the smallest carp I caught there was around 5lbs. Hopefully I can catch some small ones at barlett saturday, never been there before, maybe my luck will change. Maybe try a small hook with a single piece of corn instead of three or four pieces.:big_smile_2: