Live Bream or Bluegill

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by BILLYP, Jan 9, 2007.

1. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    i have heard a rumor that you cant use live brim or bluegill for bait does anyone know anything on this?

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Not sure of the regs in NC. I'm sure sopmeone will clear it up, though.

Here in SC you can use them as long as they are caught legally (rod and reel) and you stay within the legal bag limit for them. You're only allowed to use them on set lines or trot lines in certain rivers, though, I think.

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    You can use live bream, white perch or bluegill as long as you catch them by hook. But, you can not use them on a jug or trotline. You can also use bass and stripers (game fish) as long as you caught them with a hook. If you use a crappie, they have to be 8" long and you need to save the full carass of the crappie to show to the Wildlife Officer that it was at least 8" long. I hope this helps you.

4. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    Use Bream for bait under the following conditions:

1. You catch them on hook and line.
    2. You fish with them using rod and reel only. No jugs, limb lines, trot lines.
    3. You have to kiss all the orange ones 2 times before they are legal to use.

Shellcrackers and Pumpkinseeds are my favorites......seem to thump a little longer than the others.

5. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Thank you all this should make for a very wholesome weekend now. I was never sure of useing them as bait so i didnt. Now I know so watch out Cats im comeing for you.
    Oh and I always kiss the orange ones.
    THANKS AGAIN

6. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    The 8 inch deal is true if that is the length limit where you are. If you are fishing Jordan, they would have to be 10 inches. If you are fishing Falls Lake, they could be any size. Just check the regs where you are going to fish. You would have to use them either whole or fillet them and keep the carcass from head to tail so they could be measured.

Easiest thing to do is not use Crappie. They are not that great a bait in the first place. :big_smile:

7. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    ive never heard of anybody getting anything on crappie well besides some tree limbs or a leave or two.

8. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    ANYONE GOING FISHING THIS WEEKEND?????
    anyone know where they are biting at on the River?

9. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I know from personal experience that crappie are very very good baits. I've caught stripers on them, lots of flatheads and plenty of nice blues too. I've heard it said that flatheads will invade the shallows in the spring to eat crappie when they spawn. If I can get 'em I use 'em. They got to be 8" here where I fish also.

10. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If people reproduced in shallow water, I thoroughly believe that flatheads would get big enough to invade the shallows to eat us! If it has scales, it's a meal.

11. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    You can only fillet a game fish that has a creel limit.Bass,bream & shad all have a creel limit and, it is my understanding you can only fillet a fish with a creel limit not just a size limit. So the game warden can count your catch.Please let me know if I am wrong if you know different!!!

12. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    You can fillet any fish but you have to keep the carcus for the game warden for the fish with the creel limits. Thats all.

13. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    If you're fishing east of I-95 there is a creel limit on bream so I understand. I think it's 30 fish, and only something like 8 of them can be robins. Are you fellows suggesting that it would be illegal to use a live bream for bait, on a rod and reel, if you were fishing east of I-95? Just something to think about.

14. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    no you can use them but you just have to keep teh carcus to show what you have caught, but what they always say you are only in trouble if you get caught.

15. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Crappie not that good of a bait? I have to disagree, crappie center pieces are some of the best bait that I have ever used. Especially on feeding flatties in the shallows at night.

Wheelmobile07

16. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    i too use crappies and have had good results with themm......bream may be better but not by much......1 place i fish in wake co has mainly channels and some whites and the channels love the crappie.......mack

17. luke1wcu

luke1wcu New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mack,
    I'm in the Raleigh area, I see you're in Cary. I was hoping you could recommend some "big cat" spots around this area. I'm down the road from Falls Lake and have had little luck finding anything of any size. Do you know any good areas within say 45 minutes of Falls Lake?
    Thanks.

18. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    If I'm not mistaken you have to use bream caught out of the same body of water you are fishing from also.Not sure but will look it up on th nc wildlife page shortly.

Timber

19. allworknofish

allworknofish New Member

State:
    texas
    is the population of bluegill and other sunfish not as abundant up north. down south here, the is no size, creel, or any other limit on them. castnet, hook, seign, and traps are all legal. you can catch perch in some areas as thick as you do shad with a cast net