live boxes

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by bigzurn08, Jan 25, 2009.

1. bigzurn08

bigzurn08 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Anyone know where I could find one of these or even an old portable chicken coop?

2. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    The chicken coop type are hard to find. I build live bags out of one inch webbing on wire hoops. You can hang them off or float em w/ swim noodles. I have a camp below Joaquin Tx. PM me if you are intersted.

3. bigzurn08

bigzurn08 New Member

State:
    Texas
    What kind of webbing to you use?
    I was looking at making one, using pvc pipe as the frame and then using a solid sheet of plastic or plexi-glass material as the sides and top.
    I would take a router to the plastic/plexi-glass sides to make long 4'' long horizontal ovals length wise. Then use a cordless drill to make somemore alternate holes.
    Might work out, sure look cool thogh!

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For some time now, I've been trying to come up with a design for a live box that would be outside the boat, but wouldn't have to be brought inside the boat every time you moved. I'm almost constantly moving, so hanging a bag over the side and bringing it in frequently is not only a real hassle, but the fish often don't survive very long. My basic idea is some kind of box with a flat bottom, much like the bottom of a jonboat, so that the box would come up on plane when I'm running up or down the river, keeping enough water in the box to keep the fish alive, but also allowing the water to circulate so fresh water comes in. Another problem is how to tow the box. Simply towing it on a rope will let the box bang up against the motor and/or boat when I slow down or stop, and it can drift around so that it's in the way while I'm stopped. Attaching it with a pole solves that problem, but makes getting the box close enough to put in a fish kind of difficult. Anybody got any ideas?

5. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I saw some on craigslit the other day that were life saving nets,it had the orange floatation ring at the top pretty big like 3x6 or something like that, then netting at the bottom...looked like a nice livewell you could use for tournament fishing, that stays in the water

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    For bank fishermen, or those with docks, an old washing machine drum works as well as anything. Gotta put a heckuva lid on it to keep the coons out, though.