Live bluegill/sunfish for channels?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by xposedguts, Sep 22, 2007.

1. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I can catch tons of tiny sunfish and panfish right under my dock(like 3 inchers), would they be good for bait? If so should i just hook em to my line and throw them out there?

2. warmouth

warmouth New Member

State:
    cincy Ohio
    great bait for flathead i hook mine towards the tail under the top fin

3. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    i prefer cut bait for channels, never caught any on live bait, just flatheads and blues.

4. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks for info guys

5. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    If the bluegill dies while on the hook channels will go for them. For me in most cases the have hit my minnows after they are dead. :cool2:

6. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    A 3 or 4 inch bream is good for most anything 2 or 3 pounds up. I've caught lots of eating size channels on plastic worms and slow working Rapalas and crank baits. They'll take live bait if they are hungry.

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Perhaps we need to go to where he is fishing phillycat so we can catch us some blue gill's.....lol... Me never had any luck with the channels using live bait but saw a huge one caught on a live minnow within about three or four minutes after the guy threw it on a bobber no less...

8. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I myself use bream. Usually they are about 5" long but cut them in half using the head end. If I find a smaller one I cut the tail and dorsal fin off, this sometimes lands me a flathead while its still alive.

9. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Dan---This seems like a good time for an experiment. Put a live bitesize 'gill on one line, and one thats been stomped on on another. Toss both in the same general area, and then post the results for us.

10. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I've caught plenty of channel cats on live bait. one lake I used to go to We always had at least one live bluegill out, as they seemed to attract the larger channels. might not get as much action as on cut bait but when You do get them they seem to be the larger fish in My experence

11. Diego

Diego New Member

State:
    California
    Live gills work great. They aren't my bait of choice, but when nothing else is working I'll catch a few and try them out, sometimes with very good results. They do tend to get bigger cats. You know the fishing is slow when you start targeting 2" gills :smile2:

The trick is to keep them lively. No need to injure them any more than putting a hook through them does. A channel cat will sniff them out, and the "struggling" action of the bait seems to really get cats excited. When a cat bites, they really slam it! Hook the gill just behind the anus toward the tail. This allows the fish to remain upright in current. I usually release my gills after being on the hook. They usually swim away, and if nothing else they become dinner for something later.

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I catch a lot of bigger channels (6-12 lbs) on small live bluegill. When I target channels, I prefer cut bait however. I use the head and the center section so I have 2 pieces of bait vs 1. If I am cutting live gills I get 4 pieces of bait, being the head, 2 fillets, and the skeletal remains with meat and blood, discarding the tails (chum).

13. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I use 3 inch live bream or bluegill all the time for channel catfish from farm ponds to reservoirs they work really well and you will usually pull in the bigger channel cats with them also.i use them instead of cut bait thats how effective they are. Just make sure you use a big enough hook if you hook them behind the dorsal you can also hook them through the mouth and through one of the nostrils both will work.

14. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks for all the info everyone

15. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    It seems for me the larger fish bite the live bait. I've caught quite a few channels on live bait and they all were pretty dang large. I'd always have a few live and a few cut baits out there. In my opinion it increases your odds of catching fish and catching larger fish.

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    It makes me wonder what attracts them more... the smell of death or the frantic hooked live bait. Or... say the smell of a dead one first attracts a cat but then turns to the live one for a snack.

17. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I agree with Brad and live bluegill / sunfish are good bait for channels.

18. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    I restarted my fishing career mid summer after a thirty year absence. I have been catching channel cats in a fifty acres irrigation reservoir by the boat load. I have fished with cut shad, stink bait, large shiners, shrimp, and Back Saltys.

The Salty is the best live bait and the cut shad it the best dead stuff. I have to say it is about fifty-fifty, live vs. dead. One thing for sure, I have caught bigger fish on live bait. The fish I am catching range from three to ten pounds.

The Saltys are alive when I catch fish. I do not think there is such a thing as a dead Salty. They are the toughest baitfish I have ever seen.

Grits