Live bluegill rigging?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by ut1trey, Nov 27, 2009.

1. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    Went out today and caught some bluegill for tomorrow am. Any suggestions on the best way to rig them? I haven't fished this way a lot. But last weekend I 3-way rigged them and caught a couple of nice bass, but just curious what the preferred way for cat'n is?-Thanks

2. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    I usually use a carolina rig, if it real snaggy a 3-way may be nice with a light line to the sinker so when you hung if it is the weight it will break off easier.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just generally go with the classic carolina rig, never have used a 3-way.

4. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I use a carolinarig and i hook them behind the dorsal fin and make sure you dont hit the spinal cord so they live longer and are livley!!

Hope this help!!

5. I use a carolina rig only. If I know I'm ganna be in a snaggy area, I use bread ties to tie the sinker to the fish finder so it will break off and I can still save my rig. I hook the sunny right between the dorsal and anal fins, in the meat so it doesn't kill him and it will try to swim away from the sinker instead of at it and around it.

Only in higher current do I hook them in the jaw so they don't drown. If I cut them, I hook the sunny head through the skull, and the rest I hook around the backbone for strengh and so the hook point is right there with the spines to try to be natural feeling to the fish.

6. festus

festus New Member

Are you fishing swift water or calm water, Trey? I use the Carolina Rig most of the time but in a swift current with a lot of snags, sometimes the 3 way rig is the best.

7. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    Thanks Kevin, I would never thought of light weight line on the sinker side. It makes too much sense! lol- In fact the 3-way I have rigged, now is 40lb Berkely big game on all three sides. However, I will change it after I finish this cold beer.

8. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    Calm water- but a lot of snags.