live bluegill for channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by slikk03, Jul 7, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ill tell yall a little secet , shad is not as affective as sunfish i took three polls baited 1 with live 2 ,3 three inch gills the other2 with fresh cutshad and every time the small bluegill beat the shad, it doesent make sence but its true, mabey its the time of year but im not lying

2. wesmcbride28

wesmcbride28 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    How big were the channels ?

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Live or cut bluegill. This is strange and I would never have believed it. It just goes to show that you should always be prepared for different scenarios

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Thats one thing about channel cat fishin. Ya best have a few things to offer if ya are gonna target them. I've been known to take upwards of 5 or 6 different baits when I go out. Gills will work in the creek and they won't touch em in the river. In the river they want eel or perch. Leaves ya scratchin your butt sometimes. LOL!

5. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    It all matters on the water fished, you might find that one bait will rule one week and not produce a bite the next

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    My favorite little lake only has channels and flatheads. I go out there specifically to target big flatheads. I'll use perch bigger than my hand and catch channels from 3 to 12 pounds out of that lake. They will take big live perch just like a big flathead will....there all pigs and will try and eat anything they can fit in their mouth.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ive caught some of my biggest channels over 12lbs on palm sized live gills while flathead fishing.:wink:

8. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    That make since to me but I tell you why I think so. At different times of the day, different water temps, different times of the years and even the daytime temps they will hit shad better and at times the hit live gills better and then again you have to catch them on cut gills and have to butterfly them sometimes. I encourage everyone to keep a running journal of every fishing trip and all conditions including time, water temp, temp outside, what your fishing with, bait presentation, lake level, where your catching fish, what is working and what is not, and what you are catching, what depth your fishing, an so on and anything else you can think of. You can refer to this later and bygolly it will be true to the exact writings in your journal. It will make you a great journal for future reference. Just try it and you will prove yourself right and make you a better fisherman. So yes I can see the channels hitting live gills instead of shad at times but Shad will preval on other days and times. Thats why I put out 8 rods with different baits and presentations on them until I figure out what they want to hit. :big_smile:

9. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Heck Willie, tell me somethin I don't know. Where I'm at bluegill (live that is) is the #1 best bait for your larger catfish, channel or flatties.

10. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I use ONLY live bream or shiners 3 to 5 inches long for Channels. I catch lots of them from 1 1/2 up to 16 pounds which is my personal best Channel. Winter is the best time for me here in NE Florida because the turtles are dormant and don't steal as much bait. Last year in one week in Jan I got Channels of 9, 11, 14 and 16 pounds. (all released). Using the live bait I also catch Bass, Bowfin and once in awhile a monster Crappie. When fishing upper reaches of tidal creeks Redfish, Seatrout and Flounder also are caught...

11. motodragon2003

motodragon2003 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Went fishing Sunday to a new lake (new to me). Just bank fishing. Found a spot where 2 guys were leaving. I asked about the fishing and they said the channels were hitting good earlier but it had started to slow down (hence them leaving).

So I plopped my gear down and threw out my lines. 2 poles on bottom (1 liver, 1 shrimp) and I had another pole wtih a bobber and some wax worms to keep me busy.

So I'm catching 3-5 inch gills while waiting on anything to hit the other 2 poles..........waited for about 2 hours (8-10am) and didn't have any hits on either of the 2 bottom poles....

So I decided I'd put one of these little gills on a hook and stick it out there...

No more than 30 mins later I hear my line going out.....(love that sound)..

Sure enough landed a 4-5lb channel cat.......

So what did I do next........

I got all the poles rigged with gills (3 total) and put the bluegill pole down. I ended up catching another channel almost identical in size and missed 2 other runs....

The best part about this was it all happened in a 2 hour gap. From 10am until about noon. I was always either baiting casting or trying to catch bait (never a dull moment)....

The only downside was I got pretty sun burnt :). I got the fever after the 2nd cat and stayed about 3 hours more than I should have...

So..........now I belive live local bait is by far superior to any other bait. :)

12. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    "......So..........now I belive live local bait is by far superior to any other bait. :)........"

Amen. Welcome to the BOC Josh.

13. clintok

clintok New Member

State:
    oklahome
    I like to use cut perch for cutbait on channels, thats the most effective cutbait I've used. Just put small chunks on some wisker sticker hooks and you'll go to town.

14. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27:
    I've been keeping one every year since 2000, & I always check it the night before I go out on the water for most of my trips
    & It's helps me out a lot.
    :0a23:
    Takes out a lot of the guest work & it also will keep you from taking a lot of gear with you that you my not even need.
    :wink:

15. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I agree a few differnt baits never hurt .

16. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I'm with you George I like to have a few different baits to try when I go out for channels.By dumb luck a friend of mine gave me some bluefish and I forgot it and ended up using it for bait and it worked with amazing results,we caught upwards of 20 fish all roughly 8 pounds nice night of fishing:wink:

17. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    if i want larger channels i'll use either a cut sunny or whole live sunny, the bigger the bait the bigger the mouth thats gonna swallow it:wink:, my PB channel cat (16#) was caught on a half a sunny

18. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I set my wife up with an ultralight to catch baby bluegills for bait for me while fishing lake of the ozarks below Truman dam. I caught a few channels 1 flathead on them. At a lake up here I hauled in about an 8 pounder. When I gutted him I checked out the contents of his innerds. Somebody had taken their KFC to the lake and tossed a thigh because the catfish ate it along with a crappie about 5 inches long. Sometimes if you cut the bait open no matter what it is and squeeze the juice out their is more of a scent to attract a bite.

19. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I've caught em' on live gills and warmouths as well as on cut. I usually try and have a variety of baits on hand. I like to offer different baits and presentations til I find out what they want...

20. Bonne Idee Don

Bonne Idee Don New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I get some weird looks from fishing buddies when catching small blue gill during the day. I go out of my way to take the hook out carefully and keep them alive. The payoff is at night. The best thing I can use here in North Louisiana on Bonne Idee Bayou