Live Bluegill for bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by ut1trey, Nov 24, 2009.

1. ut1trey

ut1trey New Member

State:
    Knoxville TN
    I like using live bluegill for bait, but I hate wasting valuable cat time catching them. If I was to catch a bunch the day before and kept them in a 5 gallon bucket with a buble box hooked up to it, how long do you think they would live? Would they make it 24 hours? Any tips, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Trey they will make it 24hr i do same thing from time to time keeping the water cool is the key

3. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    those bubble boxes are pretty good, whenever i plan on keeping them like that i have an old aerator for a fish tank with a large bubble stone/bar in it and i leave it plugged in, in the shade/garage. the more air you have in there the better and the cooler you keep the water is better to a point also. you dont want to leave it plugged in out in the sun, if the water temp gets high it will kill them. the cooler the water the more disolved O2 it can hold and the better the fish will live.

4. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A lil more than half a plastic barrel end makes a great bait tank for the house. I got one I use. I can keep 40 to 60 small gills, green sunfish, bull heads, ect in it. It holds around 35 to 40 gallons with enough rim to keep em from jumpen out. Get ya another one or two set it up to catch rain water off a car port roof ect. That way ya can change out your bait tank water after the first day and every few days to keep em good and heathy. I use a 110 stone bubbler for 50 gal fish tanks it has 2 lines and 2 stones it works awsome.

5. festus

festus New Member

I don't have any problems with keeping bluegill alive for several days as Dallas and Jeremy mentioned. You can get an Aqua Tech aquarium pump at Walmart for about $20. And I also have three battery operated aerators, one is a Frabill, my favorite, it is really quiet. Then I also have a Bubble Box and a Rapala.

My problem is keeping creek chubs, shad, and shiners alive.

6. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I use a cast net around boat launches and get the perfect size and I all I can handle. That way they are good and fresh.

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I use the same thing except I also use a 55 gal. aquarium pump/filter on it also. It works great. Just gotta keep the filter cartridges clean & the water cool during summer. I usually have great luck with it. The only time I have them die is either the heat or too much waste build up in the tank.
    When its time to go fishing I put them in 5 gallon buckets with the bubble boxes.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Main thing is you keep the water cool, and the oxygen to it!:wink: I have two 100 gal. Rubbermaid bait tanks in my garage that run 24-7. My garage is underground so I am able to maintain adequate water temps even during the hottest months. However, I used to have my tank setup in an outside shed. The hot summer temps, would raise the water temp.s and I had a higher turnover rate. No problems since moving them inside.. Keep the water cool! Goodluck....rollo

9. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use a 90qt. ice chest as a bait tank..The insulated ice chest keeps the water temp level..

10. festus

festus New Member

Yeah, I got one of those pump/filters, too, just forgot to mention it. It filters out the wastes. You don't have to change water nearly as often if you keep the filters clean and changed occasionally. When the water gets a bunch of white bubbles on top, you know it's time for a water change. And a chunk of ice works great during the summer. I save rainwater and freeze it in gallon milk jugs.

11. I took a clear tub and threw in a $20 pond pump from Home Depot, with some cpvc tubing with drilled holes, marked the holes with a marker so I know where they are when I have to unclog them. Got some stainless window mesh and made a canister for the pump to sit in, perfect strainer and easy to clean.:wink:

I also keep an aquarium bubbler stone jawn to keep it extra oxygenated. As long as I change half the water every 2 days, they are fine. It is in the garage so the temp stays pretty isolated from the outside weather. This has worked good for me this year. I took my girls out Sunday and we loaded up with 45 sunnies and put them in there for winter fishing stock.:roll_eyes:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1703490&postcount=11

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1734062&postcount=905

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2009
  12. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    thanks for all the good info......gonna make me one :big_smile:

13. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    You guys are putting ideas in my head. My wife is going to think Im out a my mind keeping live gills for bait in the garage...LOL:big_smile: Im just glad Im not the only one that thinks about catfishing....I love it...

14. Heck, last night we got rained out and windy/cold up here, so I just hung out in the garage watching the game with a few cold ones and all the sunnies were watching me, haha. Feels like I'm in Cabella's when I look at that thing.:smile2:

15. festus

festus New Member

Let me add another thing, if you're gonna keep baitfish a few days, they seem happier if you give them some cover. I turn 2 bricks sideways flush together for my tuffie minnows. They like to hide inside the holes. If your bait tank is big enough cinder blocks turned sideways would work well for bluegill.

I wish we had a Cabela's around here, they have stuff I can't get anywhere else, and I have to order online. We have a Gander Mountain in Knoxville, and a Bass Pro Shop in Sevierville, but I still like Cabela's much better.

16. :embarassed: Sorry bro.

It's about an hour from my place, but I still order online. That place is really somethjing to see if ya ever get the chance buddy. Times Bass Pro by ten and thats it hoss. Plan a day trip and save some money, haha, even the 'ol lady will like it, all kids of real nice stuff the women like too, especially the furniture and clothes, and the room with the trees and deer.:wink:

I get stuck in the tank tunnel for an hour or two and eventually make my way to the tackle/electroinics section, haha.:roll_eyes:

17. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    You use a cast net to catch shad.

18. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    I have a 140 gal tank in my garage with a gravity feed filter so I can keep shad alive. My kids love it when I bring bait home and put them in the tank.It gets too hot out there in the summer but it works well the rest of the year.:wink:

19. Wow bro, sounds nice, any pics??:big_smile:

20. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    My wife kids and camera are out of town until sunday night when they arrive I will post it and tell you how I made it.:roll_eyes: