Live Bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by PaJay-p, Aug 29, 2008.

1. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I thought I would start a thread to maybe help some of us who use other live bait other than bait fish. Ideas and knowledge of keeping, catching or buying live bait. This should be useful for we are in the Northern States and live bait isn't readily available year round. Even if you need live bait to catch bait fish this should also help.

2. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I like to fish all year round. I try to keep night crawlers all the time. My biggest problem besides catching them is what to feed them and how often? Buying them around here a $3.00 a dozen is robbery.

3. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    For the crawlers I have a rubbermaid container full of worm bedding that I keep on the bottom shelf of the fridge, every few months I add a little water and maybe change some of the old bedding... directions on the bag!!!

I also have an old deep freeze bait tank in my garage that will keep stuff alive all year round!

4. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    with all the problems finding cutbait (I used to try to catch them before every fishing trip), I became addicted to chicken liver.
    some one-on-one matchups proved to me that chicken liver was Almost as good as cutbait and far better than other alternatives; like worms, and dough stinkbait.

you flathead guys have it MUCH harder. catfish are very particular about fresh, living bait fish... personally I'd have to invest in a reasonable way to keep, and transport bait fish If I were to regularly chase the flathead.

on the board, there's some sentiment that lots of baits work for catfish. That is NOT what I'm finding, for me. but I think the density matters. on warm southern rivers that are full of catfish; lots of things might work. My river is cold and the channels are badly outnumbered by muskies, walleyes and trout. they are sparse and you need something that lies a good natural scent if your to catch them....

5. Romo

Romo New Member

State:
    PA
    I wish I had that problem in my river! I hope you do some fishing for said species as well

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I try to keep enough bait in the freezer to get me thru the winter

7. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I use a lot of shrimp as well as chicken liver.I have also used beef liver too .I was gonna buy a trout fillet at the store and chunk it but I didn't just to see if anything would grab it.I'm not sure if the flatheads made it up to me yet but I have got to buy a heavy action rod and reel and start throwing sunfish out there along with my normal baits ,because if there wa a flathead in blue marsh spillway they could potentially be where I fish

8. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    have u fished around felix dam since they cleaned it up? i checked out the area when they first finished it but haven't wet a line down there, used to be a decent spot when the dam was up

9. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    no but i have fished downstream from there behind the national guard or whatever it is with the anchors saw lots of carp never caught anything too great there ,where the pavilion is I hooked a 25" carp hell of a fight:wink:

10. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    don't think i fished down that far but i have fished down a little from kelly's locks, but i'm sure that spot stinks with this low water level, it used to be a real good small mouth spot and a buddy of mine picked up a couple musky in that area, but we are in need of a good rainfall

11. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Has anyone ordered any live bait (nightcrawlers,redworms,mealworms or maggots) in bulk? I was wondering about the quality, health and price. I always bought locally and no one sells by bulk anymore.

12. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    I had a friend order crawlers on-line. I believe they used carabelas. There were very high quality, healthy and significantly cheaper. I think you balance the advantages of that against your own ability to store nightcrawlers...