Live Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by TRYINGFORCATS, Jan 5, 2007.

1. TRYINGFORCATS

TRYINGFORCATS New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Does Live Bait Work Better If Caught Where You Are Fishing

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Not necessarily, but you want to use whatever is native to where you are fishing. I catch more and bigger shad at one lake and use them in a different lake. There are also shad in the second lake but it seems I can only catch smaller ones there. I catch bluegill from a private pond and use them other places also. But I think bluegill are everywhere.

3. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    In this area live bait works better for Yellow cats. It might be better for larger Blues but for 10 lb. or less Blues cut bait works better than live in the areas I fish. I am starting to think cut perch works better than cut shad. This may change from day to day, but the perch seems to me to be better most of the time.

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Live or cutbait works. but I pefer live bait.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Doesn't seem to matter, provided it's the same kind of bait -- shad is shad is shad around these parts. But if you're using a bait that the fish have never seen in that water before, they might not bite it. I know some of the Missouri guys have tried to use cut asian carp in lakes where the carp isn't found and have not had any luck with it.

Do be careful, however, about transporting anything caught in one body of water to another -- that's how non-native invasive species get spread, and some states now have laws that you're not allowed to possess fish or bait caught on a different body of water than the one you're on. Check your state regs if you're not sure.

6. Stumpknocker2

Stumpknocker2 New Member

State:
    NW FL
    That is a great question. So long as the bait you are using is also in the body of water you are fishing, it won't matter. Hey and by the way welcome to the BOC. I dont even know if a bait that is not in there will work, I mean think about it, you dont see chicken liver swimming around in every hole you fish, and they seem to like it pretty good, and everything, and all.LOL

Those 30 gills you caught for us to fish this weekend, will work fine in the yellow river. and all.