Live bait

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by Dogfish, Oct 28, 2006.

1. Dogfish

Dogfish Guest

Many people say your bait should be bait that the cats are used to. Well when fishing in a pond or lake wat are cats used to? Obviously homemade baits and chum arent the trick. Any help?

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In a pond worms seem to work best for me for some reason. Even when there alot of perch present. That has been my experience. Others may say different.

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Anything that is living in that pond that you think the Catfish, at that Pond that you are fishing at that time, will feed on.
    (Shad - Small Bluegills - Minnows - Worms - insects ect.) :wink:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    blue gills , perch , crappie , bass , other catfish , crayfish , grass hoppers , snakes , salimanders , worms , baby birds , frogs , mice all of these and more are natural baits that fish every where are most likely to come in contact with .
    pick one or more and try them , good luck

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have two "goto" pond baits night crawlers and minnows. Chicken liver is another good pond bait

6. wally_1951

wally_1951 New Member

State:
    mo
    since we have a lot of gills in our pond i try to stay away from worms...i use mainly minnows...once in a while i will catch a bass..but majority of the time its cats....i found the same problem using livers....so i fish mainly with the minnows...occasionally a doughball

7. villaitefla

villaitefla New Member

State:
    Florida
    You say homemade baits won't do the trick, but have you actually tried them? Channels are very 'trainable', and if you fish in a pond then I assume it's not very big? Make up some good dough ball baits, and throw a few 100 in over a period of a week or 2, and go and try again. I fish a 7 acre pond, and I made up some boilies. Now they are used to them, they love 'em ..... It's not a fish a cast, but rarely do I get a blank these days. Only downside ..... turtles love 'em too !!!!! :sad2:

8. IfishFORcatfish

IfishFORcatfish New Member

State:
    california
    good for flat heads

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Catch some of those gills for bait, that's what those pond cats are eating if you aren't feeding them. Cut or live, either should do it.

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    If you can catch bluegill at the pond, use small bluegill as bait and cut bait. Have you tried any kind of stink bait? If not try a few different brands to see what happens , trial and error, their tastes change.