Live Bait?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catchaser1, Jul 15, 2006.

1. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    What is the best way to fish with bream? And do you have much luck with them for flatheads. All I ever catch is on cut herring.

2. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    You can fish brim either live or cut depending on what you are fishing for. If for flats I think live would be better.

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Try using them alive first, if thats not working, cut the head off and use it.

4. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    My Primary Flathead bait is Live, Frisky, Bluegill/War mouths.. If the bite is off, I switch one of my poles to cut...
    I used to hook em through the back, tween the top fin and tail. Latley, i've been hooking them through the lips and out the nose and they seem to stay alive and more active for longer .. I like my bait thrashing around as much as possible to get the the attention of ol mr flathead....

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I agree with all of the posts above good info.

6. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I know that flatheads like their bait to be presented alive but I have caught most of my big channels on bream heads or I cut the top fin off while it is still alive and let it bleed out. I have caught a 14 lb. channel cat off of this presentation.

7. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Live bait was the ticket for us Friday night on lake Marion. My grandson caught several redbreast and a bunch of perch for us out of the canal late friday afternoon. Had one big blue (42 lbs) hit a rod in the holder harder than ive ever seen one hit.......i actually thought the rod was going to either break or get snatched out of the holder before I could get up to it. He had drag screaming right from the hit. Had two other smaller blues and one real nice flathead and lost another flathead. All on live bait. Tried to get back out to the same area Sat. night , but mother nature had other plans with two violent thunder storms complete with some of the most wicked lightning Ive ever seen. :cool2:

8. live22skate

live22skate New Member

State:
    Arizona
    i agree with everybodys posts, live bait is best!

9. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    alive i think is the best good fishing to you

10. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    if you use bait clips instead of hooking the fish to present as live then this will prolong its bait life sending signals for longer.

Try fishing your bream near the surface or tie it off to an overhanging tree or bush with a weakink or elastic band

hope this helps

:smile2:

11. REELFUN

REELFUN New Member

State:
    SC
    I've been hooking my bait through the lips to keep them alive. The only problem is I have had several fish bend my rod in the holder, looking like it was hooked(I use circle hooks, no need to set the hook) only to start reeling and the fish released the bait. I suspect they are taking the tail and and never making contact with the hook. Next time I fish live bait I will hook through the back.

12. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    Sometimes they'll hit live bream on hartwell, sometimes they'll hit cut herring better. We catch the majority of our flatheads on the cut bait, but they'res a few weeks out of the summer where we'll do way better on bluegill. I think it corresponds to when the bluegill are spawning.

13. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I have been having the same problem as reel fun. It seems like my hook does not even make contact with the fish!

14. wylie catter

wylie catter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Me too, a few weeks ago I had a ton of hits only to reel in my bait and find nothing but the head. These were big hits. The rod would slam down once and that was it. People have been telling me to free line with my clickers on. I'm going to try it this weekend. I hope it works, cause last time sucked.

15. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Stinger hooks they work, I just started usin em.Its a little bit of a pain tyin em but they work.

16. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    what are stinger hooks? never heard of them

17. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Its where you snell your first hook on and leave alot of access line to tie another hook on some people put a smaller hook for a stinger but I use two the same size.You can hook the first hook in the lip and the second hook around the dorsel fin and you get alot more hook ups.I would do one of those fancy diagrams on how to rig this but I'm computer illiterate so some body else might do it.

18. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Don't forget that these hateful GAR run with live bait too.They'll peel for a few seconds and drop it like a bad date. I also have caught 4 bass this year on live bluegill ,so it's not always cats,I think if Mr Flat get's it, :wink: IT"S GONE MY MAN:wink:

19. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    Catbusster, what is a bait clip?

20. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I have found that live herring on a drop shot rig with a 3 ounce weight and 6/0 kahle will hook up everytime. It's excellent for blues, it should work on flats.