Live bait, vs homemade

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by weebrio, Jun 18, 2007.

1. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I am trying to catch catfish useing live perch that I catch on the edge of the pond, I have tried them whole, wounded, heads, cut and several differnt hook applications, I have only caught one like this, the head was swallowed whole by a small catfish, I have had plenty of bites though.

I also use bacon, and it is working great, I have caught some nice fish like this and it appears to be a reliable type of bait for me.

I want to use live bait etc as I read its the best for catching catfish.

How do I rig up a hook with perch or parts of a perch to catch catfish, I want to do this as I think it will make me a better fisherman as I travel further afeild on my fishing trips.

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i hook it throught the eyesocket. being careful not to put the hook actually in the eyes. you can also hook it behind the dorsal. just dont hook the guts or gills if you want it to stay alive for long.

3. CATBUSTER

CATBUSTER New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    I HOOK MINE IN THE BACK.......NOW MAYBE THIS IS JUST ME BUT I HAVE CAUGHT BREAM OUT OF A SMALL POND THAT IS 4-5' DEEP BY MY HOUSE AND I'LL TAKE THEM TO THE RIVER BUT THE FLATHEADS JUST DONT HIT THEM AS WELL AS THE BREAM I CATCH OUT OF THE RIVER MAYBE IT'S THE DIFFRENCE IN THE WATER TEMP. OR MAYBE THE DIFFRENCE IN DEPTH THAT SHOCKS THEM AND THEY DONT ACT AS NATURAL ,I DONT KNOW THE BOTTOM LINE IS I TRY TO CATCH MY BAIT OUT OF THE WATER IM FISHING

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think using live bait is better!

5. bodi

bodi New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have always hooked perch behind the dorsal fin and caught a lot of nice flatheads but i catch mine were ever i am going to go fish at that way i dont transfer them from warm still water to cold fast moving waters

6. Cat Hunter

Cat Hunter New Member

State:
    texas
    In the past I have hooked them through the bottom lip and out the nostril. For the smaller bait fish I use I go under the back.

7. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    I use live bait all the time,produces great for me on the river

8. tkbiker

tkbiker New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use cut bait and i hook them thru the backs. I cut all the fish i have used in half then hook them thru the back. Every pc ive thrown out i have caught a fish on. Hands down in my opinion shad and gills are the best never tried perch their to good of eatin to let a fish eat them LOL:lol:!

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    what water in tx do you fish bryan? if you're fishin rivers the cats might want shad. i would still keep a live perch out, for the flatheads. cut perch has always worked for me for channel cats. remember also, this is a difficult time of year for cats in some waters.

10. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    So far I have only fished at Caleveras lake and Millers pond, in the pond I have caught some good fish, I have not caught any on the lake so far.

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Not all ponds and lakes have monster cats in them... Umm but if there are in these lakes you fish, they may not want the perch... I know worms work extremely well at some places i fish for cats and other places, i can't buy a bite w/ worms but if you throw a liver out there, you can't keep them off of it... if bacon's working, keep w/ bacon... if you want to keep trying w/ the perch, try catching the smallest ones you can and use them whole, cut in 1/2, etc... you may also want to try filleting the side of a perch and cutting it into smaller chunks (1" by 1" is what i've always heard, but i've never had to go that small)

also try a different fish in the waters, like bluegills... maybe the fish know bluegills are less spiney then the perch and they key in on them instead of the perch... you really never know what they'll eat at any given time or place... just be prepared to experiment.