Live bait vs fresh cut bait for Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by wolfman, Aug 15, 2005.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Im a firm believer in using live bluegills for flatheads. Here lately I havent been getting any strikes on live gills so I cut them up and been using the heads. Cast in the very same place and would get a couple of strikes and occasionally catch a flathead or two. Has anyone else had this same experience?

2. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    That's strange. I read someone elses post and they were saying the same thing but using cut shad instead of live ones. I'm floating several miles of the missouri this weekend and I'm gonna give gillheads a shot and see what happens.

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That's generally how I fish Wolfman. I usually target flatheads with live bluegills on 2 to 3 poles and then something cut on 1 or 2 poles. Then if I'm not doing any good on the live, I'll start trading them out for cut. I've only caught one flathead since June and I've fished 2-3 nights a week all summer long. I hope the flathead action starts to pick up again sometime soon.

4. Individualist

Individualist New Member

State:
    Lansing, Kansas
    I had been doing good on live carp (4 or 5 inchers) that is before we had several inches of rain here on the missouri river. The river is coming back down and should be getting close to normal just in time for this weekend. We'll give it a shot and see what happens.

5. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    I catch a few Flatheads on Gills, But I predomiantly fish with whole and cut blue back herring.Cut bait produces 5 to 1 for me here,especially in the late fall and winter. My bigger fish have been caught on cut bait ,also the 47lber I caught at Santee Cooper came on cut herring.Ever region is different though.Here's an example.I had to go to Detroit to work one winter and you couldn't find a bowl of Grits anywhere,Well they're common down south.Compare that to bait fish and it will give you and idea.Cafes up there don't have grits they have home fries I think.Does that make sense?

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Seems like that is the best way to draw them out during spawn. I think that extra scent helps.

7. klemsontigers7

klemsontigers7 New Member

State:
    SC
    I think that this time of year, you should switch over to cut herring. Earlier, we were catching them exclusively on live bream and only catching the blues on herring. Now all of our fish come from cut blueback herring.

8. cat4life

cat4life New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I have caught a few flatties on live bluegill but never any thing on fresh cut bluegill. But maybe i'm just not fishing the right spot.

9. Froggiestyle

Froggiestyle Guest

I've noticed that flats always tend to go for the live bait, but usually won't pass up freashly cut and killed shad. The oil of the shad can do wonders.

10. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I started out using live gils but if I get no action I cut them..I was told to cut them from the end of the top fin to the fins on the bottom leaving the gut sack open. I have only caught one flat but she was about 5 pounds and hit it hard..thought I finally had one of those big ones you guys catch. :rolleyes:

11. Abu

Abu New Member

State:
    Hemlock,Ohio
    I like to use big lively warmouths, gills or goldfish for big flats. Live or cut for blues. I have tried cutbait while fishing for flats, mainly gill heads and shad heads but usually end up with a channel cat on the end of my line.

12. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    i have been having better results on the cut by now But earlier in the season it was strickly live gills. Last night i got 5 flats all on dead bait 0 on live.

13. Beastmaster

Beastmaster New Member

State:
    Chrisman Ill.
    I've caught most of my flattys on live chubs.Never tryed to get em on cut bait.Two weeks ago seen a guy catch a 15 pound flatty on cheese at the local lake.

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Thanx for the replies, my two biggest flats this year ( a 18# and 15#) came on gill heads just after the spawn. Persistence pays off, I know they are there, just got to get them to strike.

15. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    Here lately i've been catching all my flatheads on cut herring. It's just seemed to outperform the gills, i think it's b/c the catfish have went deeper, and when in deeper water they're looking for herring more so than bream

16. oldman

oldman New Member

i use rio grande perch,gaspergou.bull heads, about 10 inches long. very seldom catch one less than 18-20 lbs. most are on trotlines or drop lines. on my trot lines i use cut bait usually shad and every 4th hook i put on a live bait keeps the cut bait moving. nice blues channels and big flats also some big gar.

17. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I always toss out at least one gill head been doing that for years. A very kind old gent showed me that when I was a boy. He would hook em through the eye sockets and cover the hook point with a piece of rubber worm. The one I'm holding in the pic was caught that way.

18. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have only been able to catch 2 or 3 Flats all summer, and they have all come from live gills, once they die i step on them and throw them back out, caught some nice channels that way too.

19. MUDCAT

MUDCAT New Member

State:
    Tucson, Arizona
    I think the fish in my area are bored to death with Bluegills. I have been using
    waterdogs and carp and my bite ratio has gone way up.

20. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Are you buying the carp or catching them?what size? If you're catching them give me the run down.I've give it thought ,but never followed through.