Live Bait Traps

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by Bobp, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Bobp

Bobp Member

State:
    AR
    Name:
    Bob Poole
    I recently re-caught the monster Flathead fever again....and blues too....but like always bait is the big issue......
    Shad are difficult to catch at times so
    Ive built 3 perch traps from 3/4 mesh heavy cage wire....a 24"×24"x8" 4 sided clover leaf....and a 24"x24"x6" straight 4 sided and a cylindrical type.

Have you ever floated one and left it in a cove or just left one hid in a cove ect?

Do you mark the location or leave em unmarked?

ramon06 likes this.
  2. Bobp

Bobp Member

State:
    AR
    Name:
    Bob Poole
    These are the two square traps I've built

Attached Files:

TexzBluz and ramon06 like this.

3. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Ramon
    I have 2 traps like yours. For some strange reason they don't work for me. I've seen dozens of people say they work great and I have buddies that swear by them. But I guess I don't leave mine in long enough. Overnight is as long as I've tried for fear of coming back and my trap is gone. Guess I need to try a more secluded area. Maybe take it out on the boat to a Cove or creek on the river and leave it for 2 or 3 days. I normally catch enough on rod and reel, however trap saves you time. I love catching them myself though. Gives me a chance to get away and enjoy nature.

20140105_205633.jpeg 20140105_205645.jpeg

Steve H, TexzBluz and Bobp like this.
  4. Bobp

Bobp Member

State:
    AR
    Name:
    Bob Poole
    I've not really had great success with them yet.
    A few...but certainly not so many they're worth the effort to go outa the way to set......mostly my baits been pole caught so far.

ramon06 likes this.
  5. Tommy Dean

Tommy Dean Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Tommy dean
    There is a lady on youtube that was having poor success with ( the cloverleaf, which i use also). She covered the top of the trap with cedar limbs, and her catch success went thru the roof. They are more inclined evidently to go into a dark place. I've had my best catch using them over night, rather than daytime. Gravy train dogfood is my bait of choice. It swells up and the baitfish flock to it.

SCUBACATFISHMAN, ramon06 and Steve H like this.
  6. Steve H

Steve H Active Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steven
    I
    ll have to try the limbs. I’ve never had any luck with my clover leaf trap!

Bobp and ramon06 like this.
  7. Luke-Blizz

Luke-Blizz New Member

State:
    TN
    Name:
    Luther Blizzard
    Does anyone have or know where a man can get plans for this trap. Thanks

8. Steve H

Steve H Active Member

State:
    MS
    Name:
    Steven
    Look up “bream trap plans” on YouTube...Catfish and Carp channel should pop up and Luke has detailed plans on the clover leaf trap and builds one to show how it’s done.

Tommy Dean likes this.
  9. Grago

Grago Member

State:
    Ky
    Name:
    Gary
    I have built 2 , one is smaller than the other, i put the little bait cage, in the middle a 4x4 compartment, with a lid from the outside, i have only concentrated on bluegill, and places i knew had a lot of bluegill, but i put chicken liver in the compartment always catch a bunch, but some are to small to use . I havent ever used one with out the bait compartment

Nuclear Bill likes this.
  10. philly35

philly35 Well-Known Member

State:
    iowa
    Name:
    Philip
    I use the Promar collapsible mesh ones. They work pretty good. I’ve had good luck with them anyway. They can be found on amazon and catfish connection for a good price. Cabelas has them also but you will pay a lot more for them.

Grago likes this.
  11. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    We get ours out of the local creeks and branches mostly...I wouldn't suggest leaving my trap where I can see it unless the law makes you do so or they will steal your traps.... Check your local regs