Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I made some new non-return slides with my new tool, after I welded it together earlier. I silver soldered them instead of just wrapping the wire and they came out pretty good. I will be making more of them, but I will be adding slip sinkers to those, for a little extra weight. I'm not sure if they will be needed or not, but this whole thing is an experiment and just another way for me to try and catch a fish. I'm having fun so far, so that is all that I can really be assured of right now. Have a great day!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
This tool works really good for making the slides. I need to clean it up some and either blue or paint it.

I might try to make some of the other wire bending tools on the market. I just like making my own stuff.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I just received my 2, 3, and 4 ounce claw sinker mold. I made some adjustments to it, in order to hold my inserts. I still need to silver solder the eyes closed on the inserts and they will be done. They will have a small bend in the lower wire, in order to hang them from my stop ring, which will be connected to the shock-leader. This won't be done until after the lead is molded to them. I made sinker clips that work like this and I can tell you, that you can get a way better cast with your rig all pulled together as one unit. I have to give the Europeans all the credit for this rig, as they have been doing this for a long time. The small white armorers block makes a good jig for inserting steel dowels, to make the eyes. All of these sinkers can be made without the wire claws and be used for long distance casting cut bait in lakes and large ponds with a European pulley rig.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I found another slide design and it is sort of a combo between the two-way and one-way slides. I made a few and tried one on some line while holding each end in my hands. These things are pretty slick. They really slide well on the line. I will have to make a few more of these and some with egg sinkers on them. I can't wait to give all of this stuff a try in my local lakes and the Ohio River.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I just bent and silver soldered another 18 slides. They are similar as some of the others, with a little different bend (another design that I saw). I'm not sure that this will matter, but it gave me a chance to use the new 50N silver solder that I just bought from the weld shop. It turns out that the 50N silver solder works really well and the fact that it flows just a little bit slower allows me to get the solder just where I need it, without too much excess capillary action. I couldn't finish them, because I had to order more swivels. I ran out of them and ordered 125 more. In hindsight, I probably should have ordered 200 instead. Oh well, maybe later.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have actually used this rig when fishing from bridges. Very cool rig and you dont feed the seagulls. The key to making it work was the height difference from the bridge to the water. Im not sure how well it would actually work for a back fisherman without the gravity to make it work.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Drone fishing is a new fad already lol.

Tuna fishing with a drone...
I have a funny story about that. One year for my anniversary my wife bought me a drone. The first place we went was a the intercoastal canal on the gulf coast. So im excited to use this drone for the first time and so i get set up, it hits the air and immediately starts to hoover over the canal. I couldn’t stop it and since it was calibrated incorrect out of the box it flew over the canal and out of sight. All i could could do watch watch as everyone around was screaming at me to bring it back.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I made my own stoppers for this project, from 1/8" stainless tig wire. I had to wrap it around a 1/2" bolt, that I modified for the purpose. It was kind of a pain, so I am currently in the process of making a tool in order to make it much easier. I will be able to put the whole length of tig rod in the tool and wind it into the jig with a simple turn of the handle. This will make a length of coils, that I will just need to cut across the top to release them, making the stopper rings that I need. I need to order a 5/16-18 Die to thread the portion for the handle attachment, after I make some modifications to the main bolt. Should be pretty easy.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I have actually used this rig when fishing from bridges. Very cool rig and you dont feed the seagulls. The key to making it work was the height difference from the bridge to the water. Im not sure how well it would actually work for a back fisherman without the gravity to make it work.
I really don't foresee a problem with using this from the bank. I will be using a 15 foot surf rod and the baits that I will be using should have plenty of kick, to get themselves the rest of the way to the stopper. I will also be following their method of tugging the line, to coax the bait to swim the distance and slide to the stopper. A good lively bait should have no problem doing this. I have seen more than one person lose a stringer with a fish on it, when they didn't secure it well enough and the fish swam away, stringer and all. The line and wire slide should be nothing for them to tow.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I really don't foresee a problem with using this from the bank. I will be using a 15 foot surf rod and the baits that I will be using should have plenty of kick, to get themselves the rest of the way to the stopper. I will also be following their method of tugging the line, to coax the bait to swim the distance and slide to the stopper. A good lively bait should have no problem doing this. I have seen more than one person lose a stringer with a fish on it, when they didn't secure it well enough and the fish swam away, stringer and all. The line and wire slide should be nothing for them to tow.
Yeah, i think a 15 footer will do it.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts