Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I ordered some .062 inch stainless spring steel wire and made some non-return slider rigs (pictured). I already bought one sinker mold and adjusted it to make grapnel sinkers. The mold makes 2,3,and 4 ounce sinkers. I thought about it and didn't think the 4 ounce would be enough to hold the bottom, so I ordered a Do-It 5.5 ounce - 8 ounce claw sinker mold. That should do the trick. Next I need to make some stops from stainless steel flat washers, stainless steel wire and crane swivels. I have several 12 foot saltwater rods, but I am thinking about buying a new 15 footer for my slider fishing. This is becoming quite an adventure.

Dale West fishing sliders 1.jpg

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I am still in the process of making gear for this slide fishing adventure that I got myself into. I bought a few pair of round nose pliers and more stainless steel wire. The pliers that I bought are working, but I am about to upgrade to some Knipex round nose pliers. I think the round nose nesting pliers that I bought from Barlow's might not hold up to the abuse that the .062 stainless steel wire is inflicting upon them. It's not their fault, I don't think they are really made for wire this heavy. I had to go in search of some plastic tubing to use as anti-chafe tube (didn't want to order any), to connect the sinker drop-line to the slide stop. I found some Hard Emission Tubing at the auto parts store that should work perfectly. I found a guy on YouTube (Sandmans Tackle Time) that shows how to make your own Fastlinks and Genini clips with a bait clip incorporated into the design. They should make casting the heavy grapnel sinkers a lot easier. The clip will be placed onto the sinker and the sinker drop-line will be tied to the slide stop. This way, I will not have the long sinker drop-line hanging from the rod. It gives you the option of having a very long drop-line in between your sinker and slide stop. I wish I would have seen this a long time ago. It would make it much easier to launch a piece of cut-bait with a heavy sinker. I know they sell rigs like that, I just never wanted to spend the money on them. Now I don't have to, I can make my own. Below are a few pictures of the clips I made. This box is getting full and I haven't even made the sinkers yet.

20170327_151806.jpg

20170328_012229.jpg

20170328_005925.jpg

·
Registered
334 Posts
Nice job. I love making things I need/want. Even if I was loaded I would still make most things. You get all the features you want and none of the fluff. The best part is the sense of accomplishment when it all works.

Just me but why use a stainless washer? Wouldn't the "link" you made for the washer to swivel work?if it's not big enough a loop couldn't you just make it bigger? Just a thought.

Let us know how the clips work. I am extremely interested in them. Might have to make some myself, or see if you ship. Lol

·
Banned
777 Posts
Hey dale, do you mind showing us the tools/pliers you use? I make alot of rig components from stainless wire and usually just bend it with regular needle nose pliers but none of my stuff comes out looking anywhere near as professional as what you're doing!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Nice job. I love making things I need/want. Even if I was loaded I would still make most things. You get all the features you want and none of the fluff. The best part is the sense of accomplishment when it all works.

Just me but why use a stainless washer? Wouldn't the "link" you made for the washer to swivel work?if it's not big enough a loop couldn't you just make it bigger? Just a thought.

Let us know how the clips work. I am extremely interested in them. Might have to make some myself, or see if you ship. Lol
I just made them the way that I saw them. I think the point is though, a big fish could pull hard enough to mash down a single ring made from the stainless wire. That is why you need the heavier washer. It might work though.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hey dale, do you mind showing us the tools/pliers you use? I make alot of rig components from stainless wire and usually just bend it with regular needle nose pliers but none of my stuff comes out looking anywhere near as professional as what you're doing!
Below are the pliers that I use. The concave/nesting round nose pliers actually came from LurePartsOnline.com, that's what happens when you order too much stuff. You can't remember where you bought it all from.

20170329_110812.jpg 20170329_110823.jpg

I also made wire forming jigs from a couple of round nylon gunsmith bench blocks. The wire spirals in the photos make two sizes of bait slides. They are used on the green jig, one for one side and one for the other. The pins in the jigs are hardened steel dowels, that I got from my local hardware store. They just so happen to be the right size for some of the holes in the bench blocks and so I only had to drill a couple of holes. With these jigs and a set of needle nose pliers, you can make the bait slides. I use the white one and a pair of pliers to make the eye loop for the bait slides.

20170329_112445.jpg 20170329_112502.jpg

I got the idea for the jigs from another guy on YouTube (1dupzn). The quality of the video is rough, but if you want to make something bad enough you can endure. Here is a link to that video.

[video=youtube;6mvuRHpJW8k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mvuRHpJW8k&index=72&list=PLFC82A20BAC103383[/video]

Here are Sandmans videos on how to make the clips. Watch out, the music at the beginning of his videos is REALLY loud.

[video=youtube;UeYtuMD16IY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeYtuMD16IY[/video]

[video=youtube;ztQnGFBgnCc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztQnGFBgnCc[/video]

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Made some more Gemini Genie clips-w/bait clip, while I was watching YouTube videos. I am going to put some of these into my carp bag and in my regular catfish bag for pulley rigs. Should be able to really launch a piece of cut carp with this Gemini bait clip.

20170329_192120.jpg

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I re-watched Sandmans Tackle Time video on making Gemini clips and Fastlinks. While I was out yesterday, I stopped at the weld shop and bought a pound of 316 stainless steel Tig wire 1/16" diameter. It was just over $10.00 for the pound and gave me 32 - 3' long rods. I now know why he uses this to make his clips. The rod is super tough, but it is also way easier to bend. Compared to bending the stainless spring wire, bending the Tig wire is night and day. I believe the spring wire is better for making bait slides, but the the Tig wire is better or easier for making clips. I would also say the Tig wire would be a better choice for making grapnel sinkers. I will make my grapnel sinkers with some of both types of wire to test them out. This post is basically to tell anyone that wants to make the clips, to use the stainless Tig wire. Any decent weld shop should sell it. The picture below are clips made from the 1/16" 316 stainless Tig wire.

20170405_105855 316 stainless steel tig wire.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m from Hawaii and Fished for Giant Trevallys, using the slide bait method that you are talking about.. Biggest fish was 79 lbs. using this method.. I’m in Az now and just started getting my feet wet trying to land a big catfish.. I have been sliding big blue gill, just playing around.. I believe that this method can be very successful. Just need the the cats to swim in by..

·
Premium Member
11,188 Posts
Hello and welcome to the USCA forum. Arizona has some good catfish from the pics I have seen.

On your profile page is a space for your FIRST NAME and that is a site requirement. It is meant to make the site a more friendly place to discuss catfishing. I need you to update your profile page.

Tom

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I’m from Hawaii and Fished for Giant Trevallys, using the slide bait method that you are talking about.. Biggest fish was 79 lbs. using this method.. I’m in Az now and just started getting my feet wet trying to land a big catfish.. I have been sliding big blue gill, just playing around.. I believe that this method can be very successful. Just need the the cats to swim in by..
Chad,
Giant Trevally fishing videos are exactly where I got the idea. I also saw them catching some sharks using this same method. I made these rigs a long time ago but life has gotten in the way and I have not been able to utilize them yet. For the last few years I have not been able to fish the spot that I really want to try this in, so I haven't tried it at all. I am sure that it will work and possibly catch you the catfish of a lifetime, especially if you are a shorebound angler. Bigger baits usually equal bigger fish.

·
Premium Member
11,188 Posts
Dale, I just noticed your post from 2017 about using the stainless steel wire to make quick release clips. That is very interesting and appears to do an excellent job according to the picture you posted. So far I have not used quick release clips but I may have to give that a try.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Dale, I just noticed your post from 2017 about using the stainless steel wire to make quick release clips. That is very interesting and appears to do an excellent job according to the picture you posted. So far I have not used quick release clips but I may have to give that a try.
You can really put a cut bait out there using this system. These are something that European carp fisherman have been using for a while. You can buy them but I'm cheap and I just like to make my own stuff. Below is a picture of an impact clip and 3 pictures of my homemade version. Mine work great so no need to buy them.

Attachments

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
I guess I will revive my dead post. I never got to try this method, because of troubles with my truck and a lack of wanting to try without it. I got the truck all fixed up and will be trying this method when the weather warms a little. In the meantime I have been making some of the other needed parts and a jig to make the one-way slides. I have been silver soldering the stop rings with swivels, the Gemini bent clip sinker inserts and some one-way slides that I made without the jig. I had to modify a couple of Do-it molds, to the sinkers the way I want them. I will be able to make claw sinkers in 2, 3, 4, 5.5 and 8 ounce. The sinkers will be tied to a lighter line and that will be tied to the stop ring. The sinker will then be hung on the stop ring while casting and the stop ring will be attached to a shock leader. Without the wire inserts for the claws, these sinkers could just be made with the Gemini bent clip inserts, to make some super long casts with a pulley rig. That would put a piece of cut-bait way out there. I just need to weld the jig up and it will be in full use.The jig will make this process a lot easier. I got the idea of the one-way slide jig from a YouTube video (
). I was going to buy a jig from the guy in the video, but the place that sold them is in Hawaii and I couldn't find it on their website. I guess they don't sell them anymore or they don't advertise them. I just went ahead, bought the parts as best I could tell and made it myself. I threaded the hole in the handle for the jig and threaded the jig post, that the handle attaches to and drilled a 3/32 hole for the pin insert (I didn't have the jig post threaded yet, or the pin inserted in the photos). I finally bought a rod for the Okuma Avenger ABF90 spinning reel, that I got for this adventure. I decided on a 2-piece 15 foot Ugly Stik Big Water surf rod. That should put those big sinkers out there. It's crazy, the things I will do to catch a dang fish.

ss1.jpeg
ss3.jpeg
ss10.jpeg
ss7.jpeg
ss6.jpeg

21 - 40 of 50 Posts