Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried this for catfishing? It is a bank fishing technique used in saltwater, to get your live or cut bait out to the fish without damage. A claw sinker is tied to the end of your line, with a stopper placed several feet above it. Your line is cast out and the claw sinker is dug into the bottom. You then place a non-return bait slider onto your line and hook on you bait of choice. Once you let go of the bait slider, the bait slides down your line and enters the water. You jiggle your rod and that lets the bait continue on until it reaches your stopper. The advantages are, a bait that would be too large to cast or damaged on impact could be easily used from the bank. My thoughts were that a shore-bound catfisherman could use this technique to place a very large bait safely into the water. Once the bait reached it's destination, the rod could be placed into a rod holder. This should work very well for river fishing because of the current. It would also have it's uses in lakes, because the bait could swim out to the stopper even in shallower water. I will be making all of the components for this rig myself. This is not a new technique, I am just trying to adapt it to freshwater use.

[video=youtube;wk_G8647oKo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wk_G8647oKo[/video]

·
Banned
777 Posts
I guess I'll be the debby downer... I've tried them with basically no success. They are big in the U.K. because they have alot of big cliffs and steep drop offs along the ocean, the high angle is what makes them work well there. If your fishing a normal shallow sloping bank/beach in the U.S. they basically do nothing. With a low angle the bait slides down to the water surface and just sits there. I'm not saying the idea is bad, they just haven't worked anywhere I've tried. Even with live bait I've always ended up with a shad flopping around 20 feet in front of me 6 inches below the water while my sinker is 150 yards out in 30 feet of water. Trying them at the beach was even more of a appointment as half the time the bait wouldn't even slide down the line to the water, and the other half of the time it never made it passed the waves. No amount of jiggling or popping the line up and down made any difference. The bait just never went down and the clip never locked up on the line on the angles I was fishing.

The upside is amazing casting distance and like you mentioned the ability to attach huge baits so the idea is definitely worth tinkering with. Don't let my bad review discourage you from trying!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I'll be the debby downer... I've tried them with basically no success. They are big in the U.K. because they have alot of big cliffs and steep drop offs along the ocean, the high angle is what makes them work well there. If your fishing a normal shallow sloping bank/beach in the U.S. they basically do nothing. With a low angle the bait slides down to the water surface and just sits there. I'm not saying the idea is bad, they just haven't worked anywhere I've tried. Even with live bait I've always ended up with a shad flopping around 20 feet in front of me 6 inches below the water while my sinker is 150 yards out in 30 feet of water. Trying them at the beach was even more of a appointment as half the time the bait wouldn't even slide down the line to the water, and the other half of the time it never made it passed the waves. No amount of jiggling or popping the line up and down made any difference. The bait just never went down.

The upside is amazing casting distance and like you mentioned the ability to attach huge baits so the idea is definitely worth tinkering with. Don't let my bad review discourage you from trying!
That might have been part of the problem. You said you were using shad, which I only ever use as cut bait. I was thinking about some bait with a little more spunk, such as large bluegill, skipjack, bullhead, small carp, large creek chubs, big suckers you get the idea. I would definitely be using something with a lot more kick. All of the aforementioned baits are stronger than a shad and therefore should swim out to the stopper with ease. Did you try a weighted slider, that probably would have helped also. You definitely would want to use a long saltwater rod with this technique. I also was thinking about some of these dams we have on the Ohio river. The upper wall is way higher than the pier. I have fished at the top of the ramps many times, they might as well be a cliff. You could throw perfectly into the eddy area or into the break water at the nearest lock. I have caught many flathead in this spot, but now I would be able to present an even larger bait to them.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found a short video (not mine) of exactly the spot I was talking about. As you can see, it is quite a ways down to the water from the top of this wall. That spot where the fast water coming from the gate meets the slack water eddy, is a terrific spot. The eddy itself is a great spot also. I am having visions of large live baits sliding down my line into this area.

[video=youtube;hAPC--rPMrA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAPC--rPMrA[/video]

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
GET A TICKET HERE IN CALI,,, GOT SOME STUPID LAW CAN'T HAVE THE SINKER LOWER THE THE HOOK,,, HAS SOMETHING TO DO ABOUT SNAGGING AND IT BEING AGAINST THE LAW HERE,,, GOT A FRIENDLY REMINDER OF IT ONCE WHEN THE DFG SAW MY DROP DOWN SINKER RIG IN THE BACK OF THE TRUCK ONCE,,,:eek1:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Google breeches buoy rig for fishing and for real fun look up trolley rig for fishing

·
Banned
777 Posts
I've been fiddling around with using the 2 pole system and a trolley rig for a while now. My idea has always been to come up with a way to cast out the sinker with a pulley and thin diameter line attached. The other end of the thin line would be attached to the bait on the other rod so I could pull the bait out instead of relying on it to slide down the line. Then break the low diameter line off and let the bait drift. Like I mentioned in my other post I can never get the bait to slide properly when fishing low angles like a flat beach or lake so pulling it out seems the next logical step. This thread has re kindled my curiosity in the whole concept though and I still have my bait sliders so I may go out to the river and do some fiddling this weekend.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have seen the trolley rigs. The problem with them in Ohio is, the other fishing pole would count as your second rod and your are only allowed to use two rods at one time here. Sometimes I like to fish for other things,while I am waiting for a bite. That would mean I was using three fishing poles at the same time and breaking the law. Bill, a bait-boat would probably be a better deal for you. I did a lot of research on bait-boats, I have used them in the past. I actually built one years ago from a small remote control boat with a line-release clip. The problem was, it was too small. It did work, but I was limited in the size of bait that I could use with it. I have been watching a lot of videos of bait boats made out of pvc pipe and fiberglass. They look to be a possible answer for the large live-bait problem in flat shallow water. There was an article done some time ago (not sure who to give credit to for it) about remote control bait-boats (http://www.catfishing.tv/Main/tips-section/damboat.html). I believe it could be adapted to the pvc bait boat very easily. The question would be whether to use a complete remote control system or use a second fishing pole and line to retrieve the bait-boat.

My old bait-boat

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
I found a short video (not mine) of exactly the spot I was talking about. As you can see, it is quite a ways down to the water from the top of this wall. That spot where the fast water coming from the gate meets the slack water eddy, is a terrific spot. The eddy itself is a great spot also. I am having visions of large live baits sliding down my line into this area.

[video=youtube;hAPC--rPMrA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAPC--rPMrA[/video]

That's my backyard Dale,literally,I live 500 yards from that spot..but back to your original post...no I have never used anything like that..

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Craig, you are pretty lucky. It takes me 45 minutes to get there from my house. I love that dam. I have caught many fish there. When the water is low and exposes the gravel bar, I like to stand down there and use my homemade rod holders to hold my heavy rods. As a matter of fact, that spot is what I made my original rod holders for. It was too hard to get anything through that rock, so I made some rod holders that would.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
http://www.tackleinternational.com.au/slidebait-fishing
Check out this site. Its called one way sliding. Australian land based shark fishermen use it to slide large baits out without them floating back up the line. One rod is all that's needed. If you think your bait is gone then just slide another leader/bait down the line.
That is the original rig that I posted. I just got sidetracked thinking about bait boats. Some places don't have the steep banks or walls for this method, although I think it can still be accomplished with a strong swimming bait. A bluegill, bullhead or carp should have no problem swimming away with a hook and the slider rig. Your line will keep the bait-fish tracking to the stopper, because he can't go back or side to side. I was just giving another alternative by suggesting the bait boat.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I rarely bank fish but reading this thread and about the bait boats I got to thinking, has anyone thought about or used drones to carry your baited rig out to where you want it and just drop it in. I used to fly EC aircraft and a servo hooked to a release clip would work well for this. I know there are drones and RC helicopters that could easily carry a couple of pounds of payload and drop it where needed. Just a thought, albeit a relatively expensive one. You're idea does sound like a neat idea though.

·
Banned
777 Posts
I rarely bank fish but reading this thread and about the bait boats I got to thinking, has anyone thought about or used drones to carry your baited rig out to where you want it and just drop it in. I used to fly EC aircraft and a servo hooked to a release clip would work well for this. I know there are drones and RC helicopters that could easily carry a couple of pounds of payload and drop it where needed. Just a thought, albeit a relatively expensive one. You're idea does sound like a neat idea though.
Drone fishing is a new fad already lol.

Tuna fishing with a drone...
https://youtu.be/8sdUZqOoAq4

·
Registered
106 Posts
Lol, that's pretty cool. Now a bank fisherman should be able to use a similar method to deliver their bait to their preferred spot, drop it in then fly back and wait for a bite. Now I gotta go watch some youtube vids, lol.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts