Live bait rod for bank fishing?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by blackburnian, Aug 8, 2007.

1. blackburnian

blackburnian New Member

State:
    PA
    I am looking for reccommendations regarding rods for my needs. I will try to be very specific. I am looking for a SPINNING rod that will gently loft chicken livers and smaller baits from SHORE. I already have beefy rods for big baits. I want something 7-9 foot long, kinda whippy in action to use with 8-10 pound line and an Okuma Avenger Baitfeeder 30 or 40. Even Catfish Connection's selections are too beefy for smaller baits.

Some ideas that I have are:

Cabelas Whuppin Stick - but they aren't long enough
    Regular Ugly Stick 9 footer - $40 may be too high
    Eagle Claw Water Eagle - I want M or ML not MH
    Ugly Stick Striper - need a two-piece
    Steelhead rods - maybe a little too delicate to leave laying around my riverbank
    Bass Pro Catmaxx Live bait - casting models only and $$$

2. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Scott, look at some European style rods, Cabelas has some, are a bit pricey though. I have a live bait model 11'(casting) it would work for what you are wanting.

3. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Try a Cabelas 9ft King Kat. I think that might be just what you're looking for. Good luck!

4. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
  5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    go to wally world rod section look for white rods.these are cheep,bout 20 dollars,and i been using 2 of them for 8 yers no prop.

6. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I picked up a catmaster mudville, From Dicks last year and it has a soft tip that is perfect for that. Its a rod and real combo priced around $40

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Okuma's Fin Chaser Combo is perfect for this situation and for about $35.00 is very affordable. If anyone would like one, send me a PM and I'll place the order.

8. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Sounds like to me you need a salmon/steelhead rod with a extra fast tip. But you said it was to delicate but you can try the Ol whiskers catfish rod its a pretty whimp flexy tip of rod it will only run you about $15.00.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have had one of the Cabela's 12 ft."Match" and one of the 11 ft."Predator" 1-3/4 lb.rods for many years.Great rods.They have held up well (20+ years).They are ideal for what you are suggestions.I have a newer Spinning 7 ft. 6-15 lb.rated WHUPPIN'SticK that is ideal also.They go up to 10 ft.with a 4-20 lb.line rating.I also have a Bass Pro 12 ft. 2-10 lb. line rated Wally Marshall Mighty Lite rod.They run in length from 7-12 ft.I also have the Bass Pro 14 ft.4-12 lb.line Wally Marshall Universal Crappie rod.They come in 8-14 ft.length. I like them both and used them for such as you are talking about and for many other situations.Perhaps one of the stores is close enough that you can check them out.Both sites have reviews.I would buy all of these rods again.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I got a buddy with a couple of Tica Rods.. Not sure on the model.. That thing is pretty sweet.. Works great for Landing LARGE Flathead (+60lbs) from a boat, to drift fishing channels, to just pitching out cut or live from the bank. Super Light, but ultra strong from what I've seen...

11. blackburnian

blackburnian New Member

State:
    PA
    Well I bought the rod and it turned out to be just what I was looking for. I got the Cabelas Whuppin' Stick 8' M Spinning. I works well for lofting smaller baits from the bank. The Ugly Stick 9' Rod was a little beefier in comparison, a little more back-bone, might be my next purchase.
    Thanks to those who replied.