Live Bait Rigs

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by mdudes17, Jun 19, 2006.

1. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    can anyone give me some advice on making some good live bait rigs for flatheads. i use live bluegill. i usually just go with a 2/0 octopus hook with a bell sinker and slipshot 6 to 12 inches up on the main line. i fish on the Kankakee and i'm just wondering if there are any other options i have. i know the 3 way rig but i'm not a big fan of it. any info will be appreciated.

2. chuck luck

chuck luck Member

State:
    indiana
    Lately i've been using a no-roll sinker/ beed/to a swivel/to 6-18 inch leader/ to a owner cutting point hook. when i'm fishing in an area that has lots of rocks or snags on the bottom i add 1 or 2 small styrofoam bobbers in between the hook and swivel. it works good as long as there isn't much current. hope this helps, have a good day, Chuck.

3. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I listened to the good folks here and got a do-it no roll sinker mold. Thier the way to go as far as sinkers. I like to use a good quality barrel swivel with a bead between it and the sinker. I like a fairly short leader, about 12 inches or less.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    5in. gill on a 7/0 hook of heavy guage and leader of about 8-10in. with enough lead to keep gill from wrapping you up (in the snaggs you fish in front of). hook gill in the forehead in current. in slack water hook it between the spine and the anal fin. leave reel un engauged with clicker on or in a sturdy rod holder!