Live bait rigs for river flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by dano40, May 18, 2007.

1. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    What is the best live bait rig for river flatheads?

2. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Hoo-boy, that's a loaded question, I hope you have a high speed connection...

There's going to be lots of right answers, here's mine:

Main line goes through one end of a small barrel swivel, then through a bead, then ties to big barrel swivel.
    Tie weight to other end of small barrel swivel with 12-16" of 10-12# mono.
    Tie hook to other end of big barrel swivel with 8-14" of abraision resistant line just about the same test as the main line.

Good fishing!

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dano it depends on your fishing method. Are you float fishing, drifting, or bottom fishing?:big_smile:

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I mostly fish with a straight plain old carolina rig (egg sinker on main line, swivel, about 16 inch leader of 50 pound mono to a 4/0 or 5/0 Kahle hook).

Generally, though, I have at least one rod with a sinker slide instead of the egg sinker. That's just a plastic sleave tht slide up and down the line, with a sinker snap attached. The snap let's me change sinkers easily. This rig usually has a pyramid sinker on it so that I can get it to hold out towards mid river. The egg sinkers just go straight behind the boat, other wise the current will drag them there anyway.

5. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    Bottom fishing.

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    a three way rig works well. tie main line to 3 way swivel, tie 12-18 in leader to thoer side. on this one put 4 oz no roll sinker. then tie 6 to 8 inch leader to remaining swivel and then tie your hook on. 5/0 octopus is my person al choice. this will keepo your bait off the bottom and still let it swim around a little. 5 to 7 inch gills, shad, or skipjack are the best baits to use with this set-up, but you can also use it with cut-bait.

7. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Lately I've been using a three way swivel with sinker and hook, but before that I only used regular old split shot attached a foot or so above the hook. We sometimes experience a lot of hits as soon as the bait hits the water or shortly thereafter. I feel as though we would not have had those strikes if we were using a lot of weight because the bait would have sunk too fast. A majority of those strikes were in a river at the bottom end of a pool about 12' deep.

8. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    i would try as many diffrent rigs as i could untill i find the one that works best for the area i am fishing. for example at my local lake i use a drift weight and drift but when i fish a river or dam front at a lake i will use a slipbobber or bounce the bait just off the bottom, there are as ways to fish a river or a lake that there are oppionins